Find
Notify
Tools

Bohica 25/08 accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arky65
posted
Member Bohica put this rifle together for me and boy does it shoot. I have about got the load down. actually i have a couple loads. But the one i shot yesterday will be hard to beat.
imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pa7af9f3dc27c9c523116...22f6eb.jpg.thumb.jpg

as i measured it is .522 outside to outside

42 grains of vit 150 over hdy 75 vmax chrongraphed average 3382 fps.

ice storm moved in last nite so i will not get to shoot again till next weekend. i have shot some .7" outside to outside with varget a couple times. hope to repeat or better the vit load next week.

people that trade freedom for security become slaves

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a winner.
I have been kinda think'n about a .25 souper lately. I have a M7 action that is begg'n me to rebarrel it to something.
What twist did you use? Will it shoot heavier bullets even close to that? Are you measuring case head expansion? I only ask because I would think you should be able to get closer to the 3500 fps mark with a 75 grn bullet.

By the way I hope ya'll faired well with the weather. It was'nt bad at all down here in the Monroe area, but if you had listened to the weather man you would have thought it was a sencond ice age a come'n.

Good luck

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
Bluetick,

Barrel: 26" hart ss, forget the contour but it does have a slight contour it is very heavy

twist: 1:14

Stock: HS precision tan with black spider web

scope: old weaver K 12-c

case head expansion: i just measured fired and unfired and no difference both measured .472

Heavy bullets: the heaviest bullets i have shot have been 86 grain psp for the break-in did not chrony these. i went with the 1:14 because i do not plan on shooting anything heavier than 90 grain bullets. my thoughts were to hunt coyotes and pd's with this rifle so do not need heavy bullets.
i think if you went with a faster twist and used the right powder you could still get over 3000fps with 100 grain bullets.

veloicity: i tested loads that shot in the 3500fps but the groups opened and strung verticle, also shot some 3599 fps but the accuracy opened up to 1.2" verticle string. the primers showed the impressions of the bolt face and the bolt was a little sticky so i think that load was to hot. my thought is accuracy first.

The ice is still on the ground, still below freezing and cloudy today. must venture out to lowes today to order matieral for honey-do project so i will see what the rest of hot springs is like.

nice deer did you take him in N.Louisiana.
back when i hunted had a lease on the Winn & Jackson Parish line.

stay warm

arky65

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
ark65

Thanks, I killed the deer in Georgia last year (Nov. 3rd 2004)With my .250 AI and a 100grn Nosler BT.

I spoke to soon on the the weather also. On the 10:00 news last night they reported a 20 car pile up on hwy 165 due to ice. Eeker Hope it was'nt to bad

My .250AI shoots 75grn v-maxs about minute of coyote. I have'nt killed any thing with them yet except milk jugs and paper, but man what a reaction from a jug full of water. Razzer. I did dust role a yote a couple months ago with a 100grn Barnes TSX and to may surprise it opened up pretty good. He was only about 75 yards away. It left a little over golf ball sized exit hole on a broad side shot placed high and behind the sholder. I was a little worried about these because they are molly coated and the hollow point cavity is filled with the molly. I was'nt sure what to expect. It will be my deer bullet from here on unless some unforseen problem accurs.

Well good luck with your rifle and if I decied to put .25 souper togather I'll surely give you a shout for some load data.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
arky65- you can find some load data at my web sight the 257DGR is so very similar.

www.duaneguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
thanks for the data Duane

arky65

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
arky
How much longer is the 25/08 than the 250 Sav. Ackley Imp. for the base to shoulder? Does it have the 40* shoulder like the Ackley rounds?
Thanks for any info.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
Steve E. I cannot answer your length question. i size .243 brass using a .257 button in my .260 bushing die or i size .308 brass in my .260 bushing die with a .283 bushing. you might shoot Bohica a pm and he can fill you in on the lengths. he did the chambering for this rifle and is very knowledgeable of this chambering.
i chose this route because of the ease for me in making the cases. i have a lot of .308 and .243 brass to work with. i use my .260 bushing dies to size .260, .243, and the 25/08 by changing the bushings and or button as needed. since the initial sizing and fire forming i have only been using the bushing die to size only the necks.

the shoulders are same as other .308 type cases they are not improved type cases.

HTH

arky65

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 25 WSSM makes it obsolete

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
Major cailber, your point is???

When the 25wssm has gone bye-bye there will be alot of expensive tomato stakes sitting in gun safes. jumping

arky65

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester screwed the pooch with the 25wssm it should have been the 25WSM, now that would have been a nice round.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
bearcat, i agree with that. cheers if it was not for the fact that i have loads of .243, .308 brass i may have had bohica build me a 25-300wsm rcbs makes dies for 25-300wsm.
as it is i can use my .260 redding bushing dies to load .260,25/08, and .243 by changing the bushing, it was to easy for me to go the route i went.

arky65

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearcat:
Winchester screwed the pooch with the 25wssm it should have been the 25WSM, now that would have been a nice round.

No Doubt about it! They could / should have done a 6.5 WSM and a .257 WSM and skipped the WSSM's all together! The WSSM is an answer to a question that was never asked. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Steve E.
I measured two cases. One is from my little 600 in 250 AI and the other another 600 in 25 Souper. The length from the base to the shoulder is about 1.549. This is within a .000 or so of each other as the mike I have shows at the same for each. Now this is for the 250 Savage [AI 40 deg] and the standard 25 Souper. This is the reason I get a little more out of the Souper than the 250 AI. Both wonderful cases!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I really like this cartridge. I am having good results with Hodgdon's Benchmark. The last time I chrono'ed the load, 41.5 grain went a hair over 3200 fps w/ sierra 100 gk's.

Posts: 8 | Location: sand springs, ok. | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark for the info, I am looking for a M7 action and am going to do a 250 AI or the 25 Souper, is the souper more of a straight case like the AI rounds or does it have case taper like the 308 family? What dies do you use for the 25 Souper? What is the average velocity gain for the SOuper? Seems like I have heard someone else say Aloha.

Steve E....

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Steve,
The taper for the 25 Souper case is the same as the parent case [308 Win] As far as I know it is just a necked down 308! I have used the standard 260 Rem [ Mr. Ken Waters 263 Express] for the Souper but I have such an abundance of Lake City NM cases from KMCAS that I just use that for all my wildcats based on the 308 case and even the 250 Sav AI though it is a bit of work. I will have to try some Benchmark in mine and see how it shoots. I got a can for my 6.5 SAUM but because of med problems haven`t been able to get out and shoot.
I was born in Hawaii and was a Fed Game Warden there for many years in addition to running a major Lawn Pest Control company. Sure miss the range at Koko Head and the hunting on the other islands and also in Waianae/ Makua for goats and pigs.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote