New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which TCU for a cz527?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, I have a very nice cz 527 FS in .223 that shoots well but I think a TCU would be a good little 150 or 200 yard deer gun for blacktails. The only modification besides a rebore-rechamber would be the magazine, a 6mm TCU needs minor filing, the 6.5 or 7mm tcu would need a portion cut out and rewelded to widen it in the neck portion. anyways, the OAL is limited to 2.340" I think that the 6mm would do Ok at this length. Does anybody know about 6.5 bullets, could they be seated this deep? There is .590" for the bullet on top of the case. In the 7mm I think that only the flat nose 7-30 waters bullets would work. I made a dummy 6x45 and a dummy 7mm TCU w/ cut off bullet and both feed well. any opinions? thansk

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 257TCU the best of the bunch. 100 gr BT's at 2700 from a 20 inch tube do well on deer. The old 75 gr Barnes X bullet at 3000 fps really smacks them. 87 gr. hornadys at 2900 do wonderful things to both chucks and deer if you are a one bullet kind of person.

The 6mmtcu ain't no slouch either.

lonerider

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'm a fool for 6.5's, so that would get my nod thumb

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Bulberry 7mm TCU shoots 115 Speer HP inside an inch with 25 gr IMR 4895. It alos does well with 120 gr Sierra with the same load. Deer stand up and take notice and then fall down!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Lowrider,

I like your sig line thumb

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd check the magazine length with some dummy rounds before I took the plunge. The 223 CZ magazines aren't all that long, and that combined with a larger bullet diameter might cause you some problems.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yahoo,

I built a 6x45 on a CZ527 a couple of years ago. Great rifle but the mags can be a little tricky , need to play around a little to feed smoothly. I built it because I wanted a lt. wt. deer rifle. Dropped a 125# doe at 130 yds with out it moving an inch, hit like a thunder bolt. I would think twice about anything larger as I had no pass through, think I'll try a 85gr partition next. drop me a note if you have any questions. robert@theskidmores.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
I biult a 6mm TCU on a mini MkX for kids to use during youth season. I wouldnt bother going to the TCU if I was going to do it again. it looks cute, but is a bit of a bitch to get to feed for the small vel gain. I often just use un-fire formed loads for them to use hunting and all, just not much differance. An 80 grn Rem corlok @ 2800 or 2900 ( TCU case )fps has now taken a half dozen deer. usually broadside shots, only 1 recovered bullet, nicely mushroomed.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote