THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    300WinMag or 7mmRemMag necked up to 375?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300WinMag or 7mmRemMag necked up to 375?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a similar post as it related to the WSM's and posed the same question there, but without much response for the WM. Has anybody necked up a 300WinMag or 338WinMag to a 375 and if so what are your thoughts. FYI, I am considering this for a rebore of a Browning BLR/Mod81 which is offered in 300WinMag and 7mmRemMag(same case as 338WinMag).

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Your 7mmRemMag/,338WM necked up will be the same as the .375 Taylor. Lots of info on this round and its a good one. I have one, and a .375 H&H. The .300WM necked up is called the .375 Epstein after the left-handed football player who built it up on a LH Savage 110 action. The Epstein will provide a slight increase in velocity over the Taylor, but not enough to matter. Taylor chambering reamers and loading dies are more common/available. Pays yer money takes yer choice.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
prof242,

I googled 375 Taylor and I came up with some load data courtesy of "PhilR"..... The data was very impressive, but I did not find any info on reamers and the such. However, I did find more info on the Epstein (Steve's pages, tool listings, etc.). Could you fill me in on where I could find more info on the Taylor?

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Taylor will duplicate the 375 H&H, but again I would prefer a 9.3x62 or a 375 H&H, depending on the action chosen....I've been the Taylor route and it never showed me much, as in a bolt gun I can just convert to a 375 H&H just as easy...and the 9.3x62 will work in any action the 30-06 will work in..Again, the world of wildcatting is nothing more than fun and games, its all been done before.

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson,

The reason for leaning towards 338WinMag or 375Taylor is a little cost savings without less performance. The rifle I am considering is a Browning BLRMod81 which is available used in 7mmRemMag (can rebore to 338WinMag if barrel is .588"+ at the muzzle.....) and 300WinMag (which could be rebored to 375Epstein, maybe Taylor, if barrel is .625"+ at the muzzle.....). If I have read the specs on the 9.3 correctly, I think we are talking rebarrel since the case looks too thin at the head for a 30-06 family cartridge (of course, correct me if I am wrong). If I can save $150+ on a rebore vs rebarrel I would prefer that route. Yeah I know that Alaska is going to cost me $K?, but if I can save without loss of performance I would like to. One of the critical questions is the diameter @ the bore of the Browning in 7mmRemMag and 300WinMag, any help would be appreciated.....

Deke.