Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I already did a full search on my 30-06 AI question as iterated below within the AR Forum, and could not find an answer.

Even though the case capacity improvement and velocity increase from the 30-06 to Ackley Improved version is slight, has anyone noticed better mechanical performance? Namely, lessened bolt thrust, less case stretch, fewer needed case trimmings and/or more consistent powder burn. The feeding issues I can take care of.

I have a 7x57 AI, and love it, so I am curious as to anyone's experience with the 30-06 AI.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
fewer needed case trimmings and/or more consistent powder burn

When you form the AI the neck will shorten so right off the bat you have fewer trimings. For my non AI type cases I trim a new case right off the bat about the same as a newly formed AI case. By the time they are ready to trim again I have either lost or retired them. I do not trim each loading except if I have to crimp. In a hunting rifle I've never seen different neck lengths changing my accuracy. As to better burn who knows.

I sure wouldn't go to the trouble of a proper AI chamber for the hope of reducing my neck triming.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yale-personally I'd do it, that is one of the 30 cals that I have a desire for. A fella or two that I know that run them totally love them!

Good luck to ya!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Barreled one for a friend who likes to hot rod everything he shoots. Said he was'nt that impresses with the loads, but like me, he did like it for all the reasons you give above! I like most of the AI for the 40* shoulder and straighter case...That said, if you like the other AI you have, you will more than likley like the 06/AI also!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I like my '06 AI but it just isn't that much more than a standard '06, and doesn't feed as smooth as you mention. I like the AI series, and have had or have many still. The brass issues will be very die dependent as my Redding dies tend to over size the brass a little bit and well, I loose a case or two now and then. It is probably the only rifle I would not do twice.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 280AI build just before Nolser came out with their 280AI brass and like most have read the pro's and con's on a 30-06AI. Make a long story short had the gunsmith build me a 30x280AI used a Shilen 1/13 twist all I did was just neck up the Nolser 280AI case figured save alittle on fireforming. I started with 30-06 data using H-4350 and IMR-4350 with 165gr bullets and I'm getting around 3200fps with 165gr bullet. I'm going to neck up some 280 cases and see what kind of velocity I get and the 30x280AI started life as a 24" barrel 30-06.

I was pretty suprised with that kind of velocity and only 2grs over a max load for the 30-06. When I had my 223AI build I used appr 2gr over a max load for the standard 223 and got appr 10% increase in velocity liked it so much had another 223AI build.

Just to see if I got lucky with that 30x280AI another one is being build but I'm using a Lilja 1/11 twist barrel and that rifle should be ready about the first of Sept.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AI's I had done in rimmed, rimless and belted rounds turned out to be nothing but a hobby extension. Overall they complicate things and are a waste of time and money.

I had a Sears M51 (High Standard made 30-06 on the FN action) barrel set back to 30-06 AI. It works ok but now I don't even use the rifle and I would have to look for ammo. It must be here somewhere!

The 30-06 worked superb. Suppose the AI works too.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.