New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 Cal. 1K Wildcat
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a reasonable velocity advantage with the following 30-06 wildcats, (assuming a 26in. barrel, 1-10 twist)
30-06AI, 30Gibbs, et.al.,....
I plan on using 190/200gr SMK`s. The extra cost of dies is not a consideration, mainly looking for 2800fps+ to insure my bullet gets there to negate the typical wind effects that reduce mortals to "if only" status....
The rifle would be a bolt-action, intended for F-Class with typical scope and rests.
Any extended brass life with the "improved" case would be a decided plus...
Suggestions??

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A laser might negate the wind effects, nothing else gets by unscathed at 1000 yds. Try www.benchrestcentral.com or www.longrangehunting.com since you're not getting much action on your question here. BC is pretty significant in beating wind, and while you'll often find higher BC's in larger bores I'm guessing without researching first that you can find better numbers with lighter calibers that the bullets you reference.

First you want a gun that shoots, then YOU need to be able to shoot it. I wouldn't focus too hard on .30 cal. necessarily, or sweat velocity too hard. Doping the wind is more important in my opinion.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
keep long neck of the 06 to save barrellife ( throat erosion ) AI is nice BUT

you absolutly need a match chamber original AI is design to improve original 06 chamber ( military heritage ) so match reamer for bolt action must have
tight base ( to allow hight pressure ) because 06 can be load at 25.06 pressure or 308 pressure to get real velocity
0.340 parallele neck ( 0.338 is very nice with just a light neck turning to remove hight spot )
a TIGHT throat to get accuracy ( 0.3082 with 1.5�angle )

and minimum headspacing bolt action is not semi auto

max imp is 30/280 REM AI ( with same tips as 30.06 match reamer )

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that...

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the rules for F-Class, but the thing that keeps going round and round inside my head is a fast-twist 6mm Rem. 40 degree AI. With the 107 grain Sierra and the velocity that can be achieved with that bullet, it's a good combination of ballistics and low recoil. Just plain 6mm Rem. fast-twist would be good too.

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
F class shooting is closely a BR 1000 shooting with prome position any thing super sonic at 1K with accuracy can works

populat caliber are 6 Norma BR , 6 BRX ( 6 Norma +0.1 on body ) 243 WIN , 6 AI , mostly 6.5 cal as 260 REM , 6.5/08 , 6.5x55 , 6.5x57 , 6.5/284 some 7 mm and 308 WIN and 30.284 and 30.06

other tip is low recoil because muzzle break is not allowed in F CLASS and shooting a mild recoil rifle is more quiet .

30.06 and family 30 cal with 154 Lapua to 190 gr Sierra match bullet in a 28 inch barrel can allow a very accuracy and good performance in the wind

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote