New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 S&W wildcat
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone heard of opening up the S&W to hold the .510 BMG bullets. Or of expanding the WSM cases to .510. These would give a little longer case. Would be a .510 micro whisper of sorts.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 S+W is a straight case, Good Luck!

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ones I've measured .530 at the neck.The specs say .012 min wall thickness. So that leaves a inside of .506. So we remove another.009 and the .510 will fit. A little more for an easy fit not much. Was thinking about inside reaming to open it up to .510 . This wouldn't be as high a pressured round as the 500 S&W. But should be enough for a heavy low velocity round.

Then there is a WSM case that can be opened up or cut off at the shoulder. Only thing is would then have to head space off the lip like a 45 ACP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've looked at the cut off WSM and you have an interesting idea there. These hold 73 grs of water to the shoulder, so if cut off there and with 19 grs water emoved for a .500 seating depth you have 53 grs capacity left in what is easily the strongest case in these dimensions ever made.

Ream noting and use a collet die to create good neck tension in the brass that is fairly thick there. All the better for a round that seats on the case mouth.

The potential of all this is 5236 FPE at 65,000 psi. You may have gotten into H110 and Lil gun territory here, which is good. You can't consistently generate 65,000 psi with this configuration with rifle powders....the problem that the 458 Win Mag has. Its just in the cracks between being a pistol and a rifle application and there really are few powders that work well with the 500 grainers.

Your 510 WSM Short should launch 500 gr .510s around 2170 fps from a 19 inch bbl. Sectional density will still be .275, so it will definitely hurt something on its way through!!

You too...in a 10 ld rifle that's 57 FPE on your end.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
how about clyndrial "straight" wsm brass? .550" all the way up. form .540" at the shoulder and a .530" neck. i am not sure if .010" is enough to shoulder on but it would be a badass looking cartridge......
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
<sigh>

500 whisper...

cut off 460 weatherby....

jeffe

Posts: 39686 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know SKS's 500 whisper is based on the 460. I was looking for something to use in an encore. Not looking to break the sound barrier. Trying to keep it sub sonic. Readily inexpensive brass, pulled bullets. Just a fun cartridge to play around with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not keep it simple and use 50/70 brass as SSK does for their 50/70/750 Contender tube?

While we're at it, if a real fifty uses .510-.512 diameter bullets then isn't the 500 S&W better described as a forty-nine?

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.feistyrooster.com/500phantom/index.html

In a hurry, will talk (type) more later

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was both educational and laugh my a$$ off funny. Why couldn't school be that fun.

I want a round along your lines but with readily accesiable brass, cheap. After a lot of options it looks as though the 50-70-750 is my best bet.

I did find however that JD created a round called the 510 american eagle. It is nothing more than a 50 A&E opened to .510 and the head turned down to 7.62x39 demensions. It headspaces off of the lip.

So all isn't lost yet. I may still proceed. I've cut some 7mm RUM cases off behind the shoulder and been doing some measuring. There isn't a lot of lip to deal with and the straight case may creat some problems but there's only one way to find out.

Have more thinking, planning, decisions to make. Just never know the 50 Flapjack may just get off the ground yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .500 Phantom has factory brass available for it now. I think Starline might run a batch of it, if this cartridge starts to take off(and I think it will). I didn't notice you're from Houma. I loaned my .458 SOCOM upper out to the Sherriff's office in St. Mary parish to demo. I grew up in the Morgan City area.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll keep an eye out for starline to make a run of the brass. Man if they run it that will take care of my 50 cal needs.

Nothing has changed down here except for the weather. Oh yeh sunny high of 63. Snow, what's that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mississippi river is frozen over here. I hope Starline picks up the .500 Phantom and produces brass for it. That would be pretty kickass.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, that Phantom gives me an idea.
Back to the original Jeffery, this time cut to 2" or so, like the 308 W, and neck down to .308", give it about a caliber's worth of neck, improve the taper, and you should be able to get over 85g of water under a 165g!!! 3k should be a cinch, and no need to rebarrel, etc.
Not sure what in the hell you'd use it for, but it sounds like fun!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Collaborating with another firm (ballistics) to chamber their 30 cal in some of our rifles. Loaded length same as 308 Winchester, performance same as 30-378 Wby ... Held the prototypes in my hands, uses novel idea (as an engineer, I slapped my head and thought "Duh, why did I not think of that") and that is all I can share right now. But I am sure if we get it running you will read about it on some magazine cover ...

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Al Straitiff of Competitor corp has done a couple shortened WSM case chambered to 50 cal on P14's. They fit perfectly in that length action he said.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool. What's there web site?

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a WSSM necked to 458? That is unless your stuck on a 50 caliber. I've actually though about doing this one myself.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote