New
Find
Notify
Tools

.224TTH
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone here know about this wildcat .224. I understand it was developed for game in the 300lbs class (read whitetail deer) using a standard 6mmRem case necked to .224. I'm looking for case and chamber drawings . Intend to build a light rifle that I can carry on my electric chair to stay in the hunt for a while longer.
Any Help!!!

Love Those .41s'

Posts: 80 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
It is a 22-6mm. I think it still uses the same sholder angle 26 degrees. Mybe someone has a case drawing.

It was built for Texas deer hunters. Alot of deer hunters down hear use 22-250's,222,223,and swifts for deer and exotics.So I would say for game much under 300 lbs. I'd say 200 max.

If you decide to build one use a 1-8 twist, and use a good bullet such a 60grn partition of 75grn Hornady A-max. Some other bullet manufactures made some heavy 22 cal bullets up to 80grns if I recall right.

Have fun with the build.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Mine was on a SA model 70 with a 24" Douglas tube and an 8 twist. It loved 75 grain AMax's and 64 grain WW PP's. RL22 was it's powder of choice and it grouped best at about 3500 fps, IIRC. Don't overheat it and keep shooting or the throat will wash out real quick! Great cartridge...just run a 6mm through the dies...available from Redding...and you're ready to load.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well the TTHA did have a link to the 224tth data on their site. It no longer works. I emailed them on how to get a copy.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10th Edition, Cartridges Of The World (COTW), page 176 has a little blurb and 4 loads for different weight bullets.

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's roots go back to the early 60's when Kenneth Clark came up with his 224 Clark. Basically the 257 Roberts necked down to 224 with an "Ackley Improved" taper. His version used a 9" twist and 80-82 gr bullets with claimed velocities 3400 - 3500 fps.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crawfish,

It is the standard 6mm Rem. necked down to .22 caliber with no other changes. The shoulder angle remains the same at 26 degrees. Dave Kiff @ Pacific Tool and Gauge has the reamer drawing and Ammoguide has the cartridge drawing.

PTG

AmmoGuide

You don't state whether the light rifle will have a short barrel or not but knowing that a short barrel will be more maneuverable and convenient than a long barrel, I can think of other cartridges that will do the same job better.

The .224 TTHA really needs a long barrel to take advantage of the case capacity vs. the smaller diameter bullets. Cutting it back to a shorter length relegates the cartridge to the same performance level of even the smaller 22-250 or the Improved version. I've worked with the 22-6mm and the Improved version, 5.6 x 57 RWS, 22-243 AI, .223 Rem. AI and the 22-250 AI using the heavier bullets, mostly the 75 gr. AMAX. The larger cases work well with a 1:9" twist and the 22-243 AI works best with a 1:10" twist in my 28" barrel. I used the 1:8" twist for my .223 AI.

Any of these will work but if you choose to go with a shorter barrel, I'd look at the 6 x 47mm Lapua which is a modern version of the 6mm-250 Savage which is a fine case all by itself. The parent cartridge is the 6.5 x 47 Lapua being used by the target shooters.

Good Luck!

Posts: 52 | Location: The Great Southwest | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had a 22-6mm (aka 224 TTH) for about 25 years. My first barrel was made by Harry McGowen. My most recent barrel was made by E R Shaw.

Hornady has the 22-6mm listed in their latest handloading manual. Lonnie Hummel, Hornady senior tech, has been through about fifteen 22-6mm barrels since 1960. Competes in 1,000 yard competition with it. Loves it. Hornady offers dies in their normal category instead of the high priced custom category.

Bob Greenleaf, senior engineer at Savage for over 30 years, shoots the 22-6mm. Loves his too.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just build a nice 6MM Remington and take advantage of the many very good 75-100 grain bullets available in .243?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
I have one also, but it is a work in progress.

I built it for shooting big "coyotes" and am still working up loads for it. From all of my research RL 22 is the powder, but I have not tried it yet. I have been trying all of my other powders to see if I can find something that will work that I already have.

DZ makes some good points. IMO you need a minimum of 26 inches to make it work with the 75 gr. bullets. To get the full advantage of the TTH you need to get the high BC bullets moving and that happens at the cost of barrels.

I like it. It's fun to shoot but I am not sure I will replace the barrel when it is shot out.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Correction...mine had a 26" tube...not a 24". It's still for sale in the shop where I traded it. Dern you guys. Now I may hafta buy it back!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone recommend a reputable smith in the central Texas (Austin) area who would be willing to make one of these.
I contacted Hill Country in New Braunfels and they said they won't make them any longer - too many pressure problems.

Mark

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pdhntr1, A friend of mine uses a 22/6mm and he got great accuracy with Re22 and the 75 grain Amax.

From memory he worked up to a near maximum/maximum load of 47.0 grains of Re22 and got about 3600 fps.

Personally I would be tempted to try Ramshot Magnum, as Ken Clark (of.224Clark fame) was convinced that ball powders made a significant difference in barrel life in the high capacity .224 cases.

I believe that you might just have enough case capacity to squeeze in about 50-51 grains of Ramshot Magnum which should bring you very close/or to maximum pressure.

Although I have never used Ramshot Magnum (not available in Oz), it is supposed to have a similar burning rate to Re25.

About 20 years ago I built up a 220 Ackley Swift which had a case capacity of 55.4 grains which is very close to that of a 22/6mm. So I am aware of what powders are likely to work in a 22/6mm.

I am currently developing loads for my 2nd .224 Clark (22/257Roberts imp). I am using a Rem 700 action with Krieger 26 inch 6.5 twist barrel, and Boyds Boys laminated stock. It is still work in progress, but I have worked up to 57.0 grains of H870 with the Little soldered core 100 grain HPBT, and this gives about 3,210 fps.

Good luck with your 22/6mm. Brian.

Posts: 66 | Location: Oaklands Park, South Australia | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just what benefit do you get from the 22 TTH that you can't match with the 6MM Remington?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just what benefit do you get from the 22 TTH that you can't match with the 6MM Remington

If my memory is working at all I believe the claim was higher SD and BC shooting a heavy 22 vs 6mm.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hollywood call howard dietz in new braunfuls he has been building this rifle for years.

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crawfish:
Does anyone here know about this wildcat .224. I understand it was developed for game in the 300lbs class (read whitetail deer) using a standard 6mmRem case necked to .224. I'm looking for case and chamber drawings . Intend to build a light rifle that I can carry on my electric chair to stay in the hunt for a while longer.
Any Help!!!

This critter has been around for awhile in various guises. The first was the .22 Newton, nearly a century ago. Most recent factory incarnation is the 5.7X57mm RWS. (Yes, I know it has thicker brass than others based on the 7X57mm case!).

The .22 Newton was a good cartridge, using bullets up to 90 grains and a fast twist. But Charlie Newton decided a .264" bullet was better, so he designed the .256 Newton (a true 6.5mm) and dropped the .22 round .....

Please note that just because this round fires .224" bullets, it does NOT permit you to build a materially lighter launching platform than would any other cartidge using 57mm-long Mauser-size brass. If you want light, use something based on the .308 Win., or better yet, the .250 Savage.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
46.0grs of R22 with a 70gr TSX will easily stop anything in the 300-400 range class with proper bullet placement. I have been shooting one for years and with the TSX behind the shoulder I have NEVER had anything go more than 30 yards. I have shot numerous hogs in the 300 pound range along with several 250 pound Axis bucks. In all my shooting I have never recovered a single bullet even when game was shot out to 400 yards.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would be hard pressed to find somebody better in your area than Pete Pieper. Precision Barrelwork in Hempstead, Texas.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hollywood:
Can anyone recommend a reputable smith in the central Texas (Austin) area who would be willing to make one of these.
I contacted Hill Country in New Braunfels and they said they won't make them any longer - too many pressure problems.

Mark

Hollywood, try contacting Bruce Broughton in Coahoma Texas. His father Harold built mine. Harold had developed the 22/6 way back in the 60's for busting long range coyotes. He also helped Sierra with the R&D work on their 80gr 22cal bullet. I used one of Harolds last barrels that he built before he sold his equipment. The gun is now in Houston with one happy shooter. I used a SS Rem LA

As for loads , my 22/6 loved H4831SC and Winchester WMR which is no longer made. I do have several cans stashed back though. Bullets used were Hornady 75gr A Max and RWS 74.5gr SP.
The RWS bullet is wicked on deer and antelope.
RCBS dies were used.
Bob

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TX6br
What RWS bullets are you using?

Perry

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianw:
pdhntr1, A friend of mine uses a 22/6mm and he got great accuracy with Re22 and the 75 grain Amax.

From memory he worked up to a near maximum/maximum load of 47.0 grains of Re22 and got about 3600 fps.

Personally I would be tempted to try Ramshot Magnum, as Ken Clark (of.224Clark fame) was convinced that ball powders made a significant difference in barrel life in the high capacity .224 cases.

I believe that you might just have enough case capacity to squeeze in about 50-51 grains of Ramshot Magnum which should bring you very close/or to maximum pressure.

Although I have never used Ramshot Magnum (not available in Oz), it is supposed to have a similar burning rate to Re25.

About 20 years ago I built up a 220 Ackley Swift which had a case capacity of 55.4 grains which is very close to that of a 22/6mm. So I am aware of what powders are likely to work in a 22/6mm.

I am currently developing loads for my 2nd .224 Clark (22/257Roberts imp). I am using a Rem 700 action with Krieger 26 inch 6.5 twist barrel, and Boyds Boys laminated stock. It is still work in progress, but I have worked up to 57.0 grains of H870 with the Little soldered core 100 grain HPBT, and this gives about 3,210 fps.

Good luck with your 22/6mm. Brian.

Brian,

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this. I lost track of things and forgot to check back on this thread. Thanks for the information.

I have done some more testing in the last week and have some data from my gun.

I tried the RL 22 with the 75 gr. Amax and worked up to a load of 47 grains. At 47.5 the bolt was sticky. 47 gave me 3450 fps, avg. This is way below the 3650 the TTH guys tell you is possible with RL 22.

I tried VV 165 and the bolt got tight at 46 gr. and a velocity of 3425.

I tried RL25 again and got an avg of 3500 at 49.5 gr. This is as fast as I can make the 75 Amax go without running into pressure issues with three different powders.

I don't know what to do. I do know I am not going to buy anymore powder to try in this thing. I can get some WMR from my buddy to try, IIRC that is a ball powder that is in the burning rate that should work. But I think that will be the end of the powder testing for me. I will have the barrel shot out looking for a powder to give me the speed that I was looking for.

I am going to do some more testing in the next week or so and I will get back to you guys with the data.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, They certainly appear to be disappointing velocities and at least 100 fps below what most others seem to achieve in their 22/6mm's.

I used WIN WMR in my previous .224 Clark, a 22/250AI, 25/06, and 25/06AI, and although it gave good accuracy and very competitive velocities, I doubt that it will give you significantly higher velocites than the powders you have already tried. My lot of WIN WMR was about 1 grain faster burning than H1000, and about 2- 3 grains slower than Re22.

Interested to hear the results of your testing. Brian.

Posts: 66 | Location: Oaklands Park, South Australia | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Brian,

I don't know why it will not give the velocity it should but in all my testing it is running 100 to 150 fps slower than what others are getting.

I will pick up some WMR from my buddy Mike and try it just to see what happens. After that I will see what I have for accuracy with the RL 25.

I had Mike run the 75 gr. Amax through his XBal program at 3500 and it is cetainly not a slouch. Looking through my old loading manuals I am still at or above the 6mm loads with a better BC.

My goal was to build a long range 'yote and wolf rifle. Realistically, I may not be far from my goal.

Jim

posted Hide Post
I have a 10-twist Brux barrel in 22/6mm Rem., and it will not stabilize the 75 grain A-Max, but it does exceptionally well with the Berger 70 grain VLD and H4831SC. 47.5 grains chronos 3,644 FPS. It will go over 3700, but is not as accurate. The last three-shot groups were .260, .206 and .138.

Posts: 8 | Location: Ste. 1020, 1819 Fifth Ave. North | Registered: 25 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gmorgan, Interesting that your 10 twist barrel shoots the Berger 70VLD's so accurately.

I have a Shilen 10 twist barrel that is currently chambered for the 22/250AI. I tried the Berger 70 VLD and reached 3450 fps, but accuracy was non existant (2- 5 inch groups.

I got the impression that the barrel was struggling to stabilise the Berger, and that if I took the target back far enough the bullets would be keyholing. Yet the shorter 69 grain Sierra MK, would routinely shoot sub 0.5 moa.

The same 10 twist barrel was previously used for a .224 Clark, and even at 3,830 fps it could not stabilise the 75 grain Amax. A nine twist barrel is definitely required to stabilise that bullet.

My current .224 Clark has a 6.5 twist barrel, and I wouldn't even bother to try the 75 Amax, as I know it would disintegrate before 50 yards.

The 100 grain Wildcat, and 105 grain Little that I tried were built using the j4 jacket, and they came apart at about 2,800 fps. However,

Garry Little then made some bullets ranging from 85 - 110 grains using 257 cal and 277 cal jackets and they held together. He also built a 100 grain bullet with a soldered core, and that has consistently held together at velocities up to 3,220 fps. Regards, Brian.

posted Hide Post
Brian, sorry to take so long to get back with you. I forgot about this thread. I have had my 22-6mm placed in an F-Class McMillan stock and just got it back this week. It's supposed to snow here in Alabama tonight, but when it clears up, I'm going to do some more shooting with it. I've got an 8.5 twist barrel which is unchambered as of yet. I'm going to shoot the 10-twist a good bit before I chamber the new barrel.

Posts: 8 | Location: Ste. 1020, 1819 Fifth Ave. North | Registered: 25 July 2002Reply With Quote