New
Find
Notify
Tools

.505 DG cartridges?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was asked recently about .50 caliber dangerious game calibers and the specs of a .50 I designed and worked with a little over 10 years ago now.

I know of a bunch of .510 caliber rifles, the 500 Jeffery being one of the earliest and most "common". Lots of belted and non belted .510 wildcats using the 500 Jeffery, .510 cal. bullets. A-Square and AHR come to mind easily as well both using the .510 Jeffery bullets.

Anyone know of other .50 cal wildcats specifically designed to shoot the Gibbs .505 bullets?

I only know of one .505 on a Rigby case.

http://pistolsmith.blogspot.com/

But I suspect there must be more.

Links or references would be helpful and much appreciated.

killpc

TIA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 505 Empire is a proprietary round from Empire rifles. It is a 505 based on a 460 Wby case. George Sandman at Empire wanted a cartridge for a bolt rifle that would mirror the ballistics of the 500 NE. It is a 600gr bullet loaded to 2,150 fps, although it can be loaded to Gibbs levels if desired. I have an Empire in 505 that was made for Terry Wieland...very cool rifle.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs, any idea when the Empire was first developed?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In their November 2006 "Broadsheet", it reads that "Empire introduces the new 505 Empire caliber".

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the concept it great. I've had a few people buy rifles from me after having custom rifles built...one in 500 Jeffery and one in 450 Dakota. After the investment in money, time, and anticipation, they sadly realized when they got the rifles and shot them (a Ryan Breeding Mauser and a Gary Goudy Dakota) that they couldn't handle the sharp, fierce recoil. Shooters talk about the difference between a fast, jarring jab and a big, slow push. I think when you get to the 2,400-2,500 fps level with any bullet of 500 grains or above, the recoil threshold of most folks is passed...in spades! Bring that same load down to 2,100 to 2,200 fps, and you get the "push" effect...the recoil velocity is less, and the shooter is happy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info thanks.
I know where I draw the line on recoil.
600s at 2100 is "good enough" in a lwt rifle.

That is hopefully below where you start tearing the optic nerve off your eye!