Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6.5 choices??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted
I would be tempted to find a factory rifle in .264Win Mag and not have the hassle of reforming cases and all the other stuff that goes with wildcatting. Doubtful that you could build a 6.5 that would perform better anyway.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you don't want the Swede, I would lean toward the 6.5/284. But dagonit, thew Swede will do quite a bit if you handload, use a modern action, and use Lapua brass.

Since the 6.5/284 is now so available, brass and dies, I think that ould outweigh the 6.5/06, which would be a wildcat that dies would cost more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of having a rifle put together in 6.5 caliber. My choices so far have come down to 2, the 6.5/284 or the 6.5/06. My question is to those who may have been down this road before , which and why??

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went through all this not too long ago. The 6.5-284 is now a factory cartridge, so brass is available, etc. The 6.5-06 is easy to make though. In the end, I picked the 6.5-06 because I didn't like the way the longer 140 gr bullets had to be seated in the action I was going to use. Plus, '06 brass is plenty cheap. I haven't started building it yet, but that's the direction I'm going. Just like you, I am looking for a 6.5 bore with more pop than the swede. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont have an action to use so I'd be buying a S/H gun to use.I would want to use 120 - 140 gn bullets. Would be doing this mainly for club use and some hunting, but I have a 243 for a carry around rifle, so it probably wouldn't get used much for hunting.I'm basically after a 6.5 cal with more grunt than the swede, but is a known quantity when it comes to loading.I'd also like to try longer range target shooting down the track.
I would be interested also in thoughts about stock styles for 3 positional and field rifle shooting, just what people use and like.

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man you've opened a bag-o-worms! What are you going to do with it? What action? Anything else?

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
IMHO- it depends greatly on your desired action length. I recently took a sporterized Type 38 Arisaka from the original, anemic, 6.5 Jap cartridge to 6.5x57 Mauser. I couldn't go to a 6.5-06 due to action length, and I am happy with the results. I am getting 2950 fps with 129gr. Hornady's using a 22" tube. The 6.5-06 definitely looks attractive, though! Good luck and let us know what shakes out.

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote