New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 WSM ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone seen or heard of a 35 WSM? I just thought with Remingtons big push with the 350 Remington Magnum someone might have wildcatted the WSM case to a 35 cal.

I have always been infatuated with 35 cal cartridges. I have a 357 Rem Maximum and 35 Remington. Would like a 35 Whelen.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goggle "35 Wapiti." Also, over on shortmags.com or org or whatever, a guy did one.
It's rides the heels of the Norma with light to medium weight bullets, as you might expect.
Be a great little round, if you like that sort of thing.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Spoke to a local firearm dealer and importer (in Australia, but not THE Winchester importers) that stated emphatically that he has received information that Winchester will be releasing a 338WSM very very soon. As in the next few months. True or rumour I have no idea but he was emphatic on the point. The 35WSM has been done in Austalia and called the 35 Sambar, nice article appeared in a local magazine.

Cheers...

Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
at this rate in 2006 we can look forward to the .416 WSM

Yee hawww!

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was some talk of a "WSM" that had a 2.5" long case for a standard COL of 3.3"

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
would be between a 35 whelen and 35 AI... in a short action

I had a wsm reamer and a throater to convert one of my 358s... but decided 200 fps wasn't worth the 300 bucks for feeding work, dies, and brass (i still have a value on my time)

350 jamison, btw, is it's twin.

jeffe

Posts: 38480 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't a 2.5" WSM be a Dakota? except for the rebated head.

Posts: 17 | Location: Shelbyville, Ky. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes a 2.5" WSM would be a Dakota of sorts with a sharper shoulder. If such a line had factory status it should have enough capacity to challange the established cartridges in .33 cal. and up.

Over half the rifles in the local Walmart have been WSM's for over a year. The factories are really pushing them. I asked the regular clerk there why I have never seen a 243 or a 308 for sale there. He said that the store does not order them. That they get what a central office sends. He said that Walmart buys what they get the best deal on.

His inferance was that the factories are pricing what I see there lower. He did say that a 243 did come in last year and that he kept it for himself.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
"at this rate in 2006 we can look forward to the .416 WSM"

.416 Ridge Walker, aka .416 WSM, already exists. A friend is building one on an MRC stainless short action. A small THUMPER, it am!

Also exists in 9.3 m/m (aka .366 Bison).

And, Winchester's pressure barrel maker says Winchester has ordered and received .375 WSM test barrels from him, prior to the SHOT Show.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I use to work for Winchester Ammunition on the LE side. Last fall before the 25 WSSM came out my counterpart in Sporting ammo told me two new cartridges would be out.
The 257 first and a 338 WSM to follow. We'll see if Winchester follows through.