New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with a 300 h&h project
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to take and existing rifle in 300 h&h and have it rechambered into a wildcat very simular to the 300 why that my dad developed in 1954. He did this on his metal lave outside my upstairs bedroom when I was 10 years old. I want to shoot his brass, I have his dies. I have been wanting to do this in memory of fhim for quite a while now. Any suggestions?
Tom- Optik

Posts: 116 | Location: Bay City, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
be barreled with a Mdl. 70 300 H&H barrel......and thus be useable as such (given that the bolt face be modified??...or is 300 H&H too long????

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom

As I understand it, you already have a rifle chambered for 300 H&H and you simply want to rechamber it to your dad's cartridge. First it would be a good idea to take the fired brass to a good gunsmith and ask him if the cartridge is a wildcat or a standard cartridge. If he says it is a wildcat, you will need a chamber reamer and a gunmith to do the actual chambering. Since you have brass and loading dies it should be a fairly simple matter to determine the dimensions of the reamer. For the first step I would call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge in White City, Oregon. Dave is one of the best reamer makers in the U.S. Tell Dave what you are after and he will tell you what you will need to send him (probably some fired cases and possibly the dies). If he can make you the reamer you would then have to find a good gunsmith who can take the 300 H&H and rechamber the barrel. The gunsmith may also be able to suggest some starting loads based on the size of the cartridge. Good Luck.

Forgot - Dave's number is 541-826-5808

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote