Find
Notify
Tools

338-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted
I was loking on www.midwayusa.com at 338-06 ammo,dies, brass, bullets ect. I know that 338-06 AI or Ackley improved is an improvement on the 338-06, but I noticed there is 338-06 A square. There is loaded ammo, brass and dies. My question is has A square simply put there name on this cartridge or it is another variant on the 338-06?

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The A-Square is the standard version, the same as the 338-06.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I believe A Aquare was the first to make it a factory round. So they got to name it. It is the same as the 338-06.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The 338A2 ammo that i had the misfortune to deal with SUCKED!! They must have got their headspace data from Mars. Just use 35 whelen brass, neck down & trim to length. You will be way ahead of the game.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
DH, if you are looking for properly headstamped .338-06 ammo, Weatherby makes it but it's only available w/ 210grNP. The ammo is good quality but not cheap. I agree, just get .35Whelen brass or 06 brass & roll your own.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Midway list both A-square and Weatherby 338-06 empty brass. It is not cheap Like others mentioned unless you want the right headstamp get Whelen brass and just resize it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of norma brass in 338-06 that I got somewhere. I assume its the same as the weatherby stuff but cheaper. The loaded weatherby ammo is terribly inaccurate in my gun. We are talking like 5" groups here.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Naja, Huntington's sells Norma bulk .338-06 brass. Some day I'll have to buy some, but 06 brass works fine.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, I figured it out last night. That is where I got it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't military 30-06 brass be used? It has no headstamp.

I don't like the idea of using brass with the wrong headstamp. I'm related to some guy named Murphy.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Couldn't military 30-06 brass be used? It has no headstamp

Yup, just run it through the 338-06 sizing die and your ready to go. the military brass is a lot thicker though and has a noticably smaller capacity. (I blew out primers with it when winchester brass showed no signs of excess pressure)

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Graf's has 30/06 brass for $15 per hundred.

Norma and Weatherby 338/06 costs $20 to 23 per twenty!!!!!!!!

If I wanted the head stamp to match - Think I'd figure out how to make a "0" from the "38" on the rim. Big Grin

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I have used lakecity military brass for my .338-06 for several years. Velocity does suffer though. I really want to avoid confusing it with my standard 06 brass. I don't want to use .35 whelen brass for the same reason. With several rifles chambered for 06 derivitves in the locker, correct head stamps have become very important.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote