New
Find
Notify
Tools

5000+ fps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been rereading the above posts and wondering if a 600 Overkill or a 700AHR shortened to say 2.5 inches would work for attaining ridiculous velocities for calibers in 25, 30, 35, 375, and even 416.

Many years ago I read an article that went way over my head talking about cold plug and the physics involved in creating perfect ctgs with maximum obtainable velocities per caliber. The problem seems to be the technology available is lacking in the maximum bolt face size. something to do with extremely short and fat ctgs.

The 600OK and the 700AHR were not on the scene yet.

Anybody thought about these ctgs as starting blocks?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22-378 Wby
60gr Nosler Solid Base bullets at 5400fps from a 26" barrel. 100-140 rounds per barrel.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brando:
So with always being the thiking kind and my ming gears are always turning. I got to thinking...

I wouldnt mind developing rifle cartridge I could use on a wide assortment of game but still be able to engage small varmints at long distances.

my thoughts are something 30-06, or 300 Win Mag brass. Brass necked down to a 25 caliber bullet.

This would give you the choice of loading a sorta light weight bullet at 80 grains and achieve quite a bit of speed. Or load it with a heavier bullet and take on medium sized American game.

Would 5000fps be too much to ask out of something like that? Or would I have to drop all the way to something like a 22 caliber? I would prefer to stay above the .243 caliber and still reach the very high rate of speed.

Think about this: The Army's M829 120mm, APFSDS-T round( http://www.globalsecurity.org/...munitions/m829a1.htm) requires a 6:1 overbore sabot/finned penetrator in a smoothbore tube to reach 5,400 fps. That's like shooting small finishing nails out of a .338 Lapua. IOW it ain't gonna happen in a rifled tube w/conventional ammo.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I have seen the 22-378 and it is an interesting concept. I have also seen a 257-378 and I don't think it had much more barrel life either. I heard through the grapevine that Rob tried necking down full length 600 Overkill to .375 and they trashed a barrel in 70 rounds. When a .378Wby is dropped inside the 600 it really sends the message WOW. Got me to wondering about 600 or 700 wildcats and if anybody has tried anything else.

I would be tickled to see something other than 22 caliber reach the 5000fps mark.

As for Brando's initial interest ther are numerous 25 cal wildcats. Dopn't know what kind of velocity they are capable of or what the barrel life is but...257STW, 257-378, 257-300Win, 257-300Wea, 257-338Win and so on and so forth.

I have seen 30-378 shoot 160s at an honest 4300, but that takes a true 28in barrel to get-er-done, and while smokin fast, is still a long way from 5K.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

A newcomer here...been following the discussions with great interest.

Something you may find interesting Smiler

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/22x64.html

posted Hide Post
http://www.rifleshootermag.com...by_201006/index.html

"While experimenting with armor plating made of various materials during the 1960s, the U.S. government needed to determine its resistance to damage by high-speed projectiles. So designers turned to Roy Weatherby, who had earned his title of "King of High Velocity" by introducing a series of rifle cartridges that left the competition choking in the dust.

Soon after receiving a contract from the government, Roy simply necked down his .378 magnum case to .30 caliber, seated special 30-grain bullets made by Vernon Speer atop heavy charges of the slowest-burning powder available and exceeded a muzzle velocity of 5,000 fps.

Sometime later, the availability of an extremely dense propellant with an even slower burn rate increased velocity to just beyond 6,000 fps. And so it happened that Uncle Sam got its ultra-velocity cartridge and Roy Weatherby picked up a bit of extra money. But the .30-378 magnum story does not end there."

Posts: 45 | Location: Biloxi, MS | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's mighty hard to reach/pass 5000 fps. In one of my COTW books the 6mm AI does 4750 fps with 40 grainers...not sure of the bbl length or pressure. I read somewhere that P.O. Ackley helped someone else hit about 5K, but was with two 26" tubes welded together (52" barrel)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it was also achieved in Australia by the guy that made the 729Jongmans. In his case, it was a 17/22-250 with home turned projectiles and a barrel made by welding two 17cal barrels together for a total length of 52".

Fastest I've personally seen is 4700fps with 35gr Barnes Grenades in a 220Wilson-Arrow. Barrel was past its used by date, so was being used for attaining bragging rights.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote