New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6mm-06 Pac-Nor
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been playing around with the 105 amax for about a month now in my custom 6mm-06. The load i used to get 3575 fps with the 105s was, 57 grains of r25, winchester firformed brass, fed 215m primers, and the 105 amax, col was 3.220 if i remember correctly. This load grouped in the high 5s. I found however that after the 2nd loading the primer pockets became loose so i had to reduce 1 and 1/2 grains to 55.5 g. r25. This load seems to be holding its own with velocity averaging 3460 and grouping in the high 4s.
I have been amazed at the versatility of this barrel being able to shoot 55s at 4350 fps consistantly in the 2s and the 105s at 3400+ around the .5 moa mark. Again, my hats off to Mr. Allen for putting together the most accurate rifle i own . Cheers!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a good rifle put together,nice when a plan comes together eh! I've had a long going love afair with the 6/06 going for years. Kirby I'll be over in the Great Falls area in Sept I'll have to try and catch up with you if you're gonna be around?

It sounds like your speeds and pressures is about where I would guess it would be, especially given the idea of a 29" tube.

I've always used 25" myself so if I gave myself another 120 fps for the 4 extra inches I'd be in the same speed range with the 105's. It sounds like you've settled on 3460 as being a sane speed and with a tube 4" shorter that would put you in the 3340 range (give or take a bit) and that sounds like a good place to be. I've found with a 100 that the mid 33's to 34 is about the end of where I would want to be.

Honeslty, when 50 was talking about you driving a 105 at 3600 I was a bit worried and suspect about the practice. I could also see why you were hitting the primers too hard to make for more than one use. I compliment you on slowing things down a bit, that my shooting friend was a wise move.

Love that big 6 and when you get to about 1500 rounds have another tube on order.

Just my thoughts, and have a great weekend!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Drop me an e-mail when you get around to coming up my way and I will try to be around the shop. Come September though, its time to really start scouting the whitetails though if ya know what I mean.

Anyway, drop me a line.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby(50)

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark, you do know me. I still do the Hi-Power thing, but am currently scratching a smallbore itch. Can't quit playing w/the centerfires, though. As I recall, you were butting heads w/a 7mm Mashburn a while back. Jim

Posts: 127 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi there Jim, are you the fella that did the silhoutte (spl?) shooting?

Yep I was butting heads with a 7 Mashburn a while back. It had a Douglas tube on it and as soon as I got rid of that thing (the Douglas tube) and I retubed it with a Schneider now it shoots like you can't believe.

I am on my 3rd & Mashburn tube and I do kind of like that old cal. It is awesome for chucks at long range and for yotes in the winter.

Gotta head to church, hope all is well in your camp.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote