Tools

.50 Fat Mac
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who's got one?

What did you do for an action?

MV?

We're going to build one, but looks like we'll be building an action for it too. Probably modeled after the LAR Grizzly. Probably take too much to make a magazine fed.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is built from 20mm brass.Maybe you should join in and
build one for our 4 bore that we are making by going full length on the 20mm case.Bore will be between .980 and
1.000..Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed

I'd be happy with the shorty, you guys are truely NUTS!

Are you guys looking for an action, you say?

Have you already got the lug size and length figured out that it would need? Maybe you could help me on that part?

Are you guys bushing the primer pockets? This big stuff is all new to me, but it sure is interesting and will be FUN.

I think guys generally work up from the 50BMG to the Fat Mac, but I guess I'm bypassing that it, although my brother had one.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are nuts for sure. We are setting up mainly for 4 bore

configurations(with a rim),singles, doubles, Tula pump guns,and big falling blocks like Borchardt.I have my

belted version also.Haven't found a bolt action yet, at

reasonable costs to build or convert. But I am looking.

Ideal would be 3 lugs with about 1.3 sg in of cross section

on the bolt body.Like each lug .6 in wide and .75 inches long.Ed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

about 1.3 sg in of cross section
on the bolt body.

Ed,

I assume you mean the root, or 1.3 sq.in. = 3*(.6*.75), or a total of .45 sq.in. on each?

What height should the lugs be?

What rating do you figure this would have? How much safety margin?

How far are you along on your 4 bore project?

Appreciate the help.

Ever seen one of these falling blocks? An 1897 Webley.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent--Yes that is .45 sg in each lug times 3 lugs.Lugs about .2 inch high.It would have a shear rating of 100,000

lbs thrust with heat treated 140,000 psi yeield strength

metal for bolt.If round is loaded to 50,000 psi the thrust

would be about 34,000 lbs for a three to one safety margin.

A 30,000 psi load would have about 20,000 lbs thrust.

All we have done on 4 bore is design rimmed and belted brass,the easy part.And are getting specs figured out for

exact bore for barrels, and have found two sources of barrels, and other guys are doing the planning on singles and doubles to be built from scratch.Others hope to redo

some Tula 4 bore pump guns......If I had the dough for a Borchardt and a barrel I'd be all set.I will get barrel

first and make a test reciever on a big

block of steel to put barrel in to test loads and brass.

Have never seen Webley. Looks like offshoot of Farquharson.

How big is the barrel threads on the Webley? Nice looking action.Ed

one of us
posted Hide Post
how much would 1 of those webly actions cost i am looking at building a 577 tyranasaur single shot rifle and i need a action to house it i am left handed so i am limited in my action choise.

what dose the bochard action look like

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent, please send me that Webley action, I do wonderful work and will tell you all about it.

No need for a return address, ill just call you when the rifle is done.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
700--Here is a picture of a Borchardt, from the
brochure they sent.Ed

one of us
posted Hide Post
could you give me some contact information plz and thank you.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Borchardt Rifle Co--505-535-2923. Their action would work on the Fat-Mac, regular 4 bores, my belted 4 Bore,
12GA FH, 700NE, My 700 HE, Rob's 700 BMG Imp,etc..Ed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent Moffitt Were did you pick that up at it look's NEW !
Are thay being made now .again ?
Its been a long time since i saw one almost 35 year's
I have been out of touch

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, thanks for all your great help!!!

How much for the Borchardt action?

I�m not familiar with the Farquharson.

I�ll have to ask Dave, my smith, about the thread size, the Webley is his action. I think I�m kind of lucky to even have pictures of the rare beauty.

They�re going to start manufacturing them again, Dave and a friend of his will be. They�ll get redesigned with coil springs and some other improvements. They�ll be doing one scaled up, and another mini scaled down. It�ll probably be a year or two before they get them into production.

700 Nitro,
If you can find an 1897 Webley is the question. Dave said there�s a guy that wrote the book on English falling blocks, and he told him that there�s only four of them even known to him, and he�s only seen pictures himself� He�s the one that authenticated this one with pictures and serial numbers for Dave.

Smallfry,
Are you holdin your breath?

It would be nice to have an original like that wouldn�t it!! Dave�s a lucky guy! How often does one of those walk into ones gunshop and beg for a new home!

Martin,
It came into Dave�s shop not too awful long ago, someone looking for something else in trade I believe he said. Dave got some books and finally found out what it actually was.

He will be the first I think to reproduce them, slightly modified. Dave�s worked on the sides is all, but the action is in PRISTINE condition!! I love its lines.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent--The Bochardt is about 2 grand.But it is huge and strong, weighing 13 lbs for action alone.Rob is getting one for his 12GA From Hell project.And I could use a couple
also for my wild projects...You need the Singleshot
Rifles and Actions book by DeHaas, as it covers most single shots and is a big help in designing guns.Ed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed.

Sounds hefty! Dave said he wasn't aware of the bigger action they made, but he'd built a few on the smaller one of theirs. Is it made on special order only or something?

I think he said the single shot book he had is by Cantrell? Ring a bell? I forget his first name, but I think that's his last though.