THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Need 6.5-06 Imp. (40 degrees) loading data

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 6.5-06 Imp. (40 degrees) loading data
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
Any help with loading data would be great. Also, I need to know the length of the finished cases. I want to form 270 brass into the 6.5-06. Thanks

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The trim to length will be the same as "parent" case, 2.484". Get some RL25 for sure, 120gr. Ballistic Tips, my rifle was able to safely digest 62gr, and 5 shot group in the .3`s, its best effort.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
old 4X4: I have been using H4831SC with good results. Lowest S.D. also 4831SC. I have been using 142 Sierra HPBT Match bullets Molly coated. I am using this rifle to shoot 1000 yard matches at our local range. We have a bench shoot coming up on the 4th of Jan. Ter

Posts: 89 | Location: Baker City, Ore | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
My 1kBR rifle is in 6.5 Gibbs. I was using 57gr of R25 but only got 3-4 firings per case. A friend suggested using a smaller fireforming load then looking for a lighter match load. The theory is that the 54gr fireforming load and the match load I was using stretched the brass beyong its elasticity limit. I went to 50gr forming and tried 54gr for load development. I put 11shots into 3/4" at 100yds.

FWIW, Lee

Posts: 7494 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
What What kind of numbers are we talking concerning the 4831SC? They look like good loads. I guess I'll have to form , then shorten (or shorten, then form??) 270 brass. Where did everyone get their reloading info? Does A-Square's manual have 6.5-06 AI info?

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Thanks HarryO. I printed it out and when my dies come (2 months) and when I get my barrel (3 months)..I'll scale back these numbers a tad and try them out. I know Ackley was a little exuberant with the actual pressures generated by some of his loads.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
4x4 - here's my philosophy on the matter. You ought to measure the volume of your 270 cases before you fireform them. Either to the base of the neck or topped off. After you fireform them you remeasure the internal volume and determine your increase. For the AI you'll end up in the 3-5% range. Then I would recommend you look at published 6.5-06 data. Nosler No. 5 is a good one if you are planning on using "conventional" lead core bullets. Proceed with load development with the premise that max loads for your Improved will generally be a direct function of the volume increase. This I found to be true when I did my .30-06 super-improved (aka .30 Gibbs.) I can try to scan the 6.5-06 data if you can't get your hands on it. Also, Your 270 cases will definately shorten upon fireforming. I'd see if you can fire your fireforming loads w/o trimming first. Oh yeah, don't use Ackley's loads either, esp. when there is current load data. I think the new Speer or Hornady may have 6.5-06 data too.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are right about Mr. Ackley's loads being exuberant. I just ran across this quote in the front of his load section: "Only maximum loads are shown. In each instance, one more grain blew the primer."!!!

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check the current issue of Varmint Hunter Magazine. Feature article on the cartridge and Gritters built rifle with load data.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Varmint Hunter's Magazine...never heard of it. Worse yet, I wouldn't know where to get a copy. Any suggestions??

one of us
posted Hide Post
800/528-4868 Po Box 759 436 S. Pierre St Pierre, SD. 57501

www.varminthunter.org Found my first copy in a grocery store, been subscribing since. Excellent content and a bit of cutting edge technology from time to time.

Bullets in article include: 85 Sierra HP, 95 Horn. VM, 100 Nosler Part & BT, ETC ETC up to 129 Horn. SST. Powders H4350SC, H4831SC, RX22; way too much to tabulate here. Any particular part of that make you smile let me know and I'll pass it along. BTW Velocities range from 3100-3590 fps, groups from 11 published loads .85" or less for 5 shots.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote