THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Modifying a 303 Brit case to suite cast bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying a 303 Brit case to suite cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
Has anyone done this before?

Instead of modifying the chamber I am thinking of modifying the case. The idea is to set the shoulder back and fit a band where the neck was, to create a longer neck with a built-in 'dough-nut' bullet seat. The idea is to be able to house a wad and lube biscuit and reduce case capacity at the same time to no filler is required. Pressure should not be high enough to necessitate a perfect chamber fit. I only need to create 50 or so of these 'wild cats'.
The aim is to shoot 200-230 grain cast bullets to near 2000fps.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harvey Donaldson, in a book by Wolf Pub. of his columns from I don't recall where, told of his early days shooting the black powder single shot muzzle loaders where the bullet was loaded thru a false muzzle to engrave the rifling and located just ahead of the case/powder, THEN after the false muzzle was removed hopefully a case with black powder and a card to hold it in was loaded...

Point: He wrote of some having custom made cases lathe turned of brass, obviously fit to the chamber and custom sized inside to just hold the powder charge. Target shooters were not using maximum powder charges and with the reduced inside capacity, the cases would last "half of forever."

Your goal of 2000 fps makes it seem that this would require a bit more pressure. Cases might not last as long, but then what "new" brass alloys are available.

One other discussion of this I have seen suggested that the "drawn" alloys, normal cases, have much greater tensile strength than possible with lathe turned cases. Since I am not a machinist I can only report. Luck.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
What alloy are you using? Using wheel weights as I do I can push out word to 2k with them keeping a eye on leading. I can use reduced loads of the slower burning powders for the copper jacketed stuff. I water quench them, and do plain on baking them too help harden them even more.
Not sure if this helps but it dose work for me.
James beer

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Mmmm... Thanks guys! I was chatting to my local gun shop guy today (great fun) and it seems 2100fps is easily attainable! I am surprized. My alloy is mostly WW and I have not done anything to harden them. Looking at the expansion I am getting at muzzle velocity it might be an idea if I did! What I was trying to do is push the velocity as high as I could with soft WW using just the lube to prevent leading. Several folks have suggested castor oil as a lube and so I bought some medical quality. That would ensure that the animals I shoot are still edible! Big Grin It does seem to work real well. What I need now is a mix that will hold castor oil without letting it leach into the powder.

I have now 'acquired' some H4350/AR2209 and a brick of Federal Large rifle primers. (You know that shortage of primers you folks are having? We're not! Tee Hee! Just kidding - I waited a long time for them to come in! Big Grin )
I like my local gunshop as the folks there have vested interest and are loaders and hunters and can be real helpfull - and fun to talk to!

One of the things the fello told me today was that fillers do not actually make any difference to accuracy! And he assured me I could safely load Varget/AR2208 to 60% load density. I still prefer to fill the case so I don't make any silly or absent minded mistakes as I am prone to do! Roll Eyes

quote:
Your goal of 2000 fps makes it seem that this would require a bit more pressure.
True but still way bellow anything that could actually damage brass. I also lube my loaded cases so that prevents any damage. It could theoretically increase bolt face thrust but not beyond design levels and definately not of significence with the pressure levels I load to.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote