THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    338x39 (7.62x39 necked up to .338) What's it called?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338x39 (7.62x39 necked up to .338) What's it called?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
Is there anyone here familiar with this cartridge?

I have been asked to help loading a wildcat (338x39 or 7.62x39 necked up to .338). I am wondering what the common name is for this cartridge, and where I can find dies and reloading data.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
USE THE GRENDAL CASE ITS BETTER THAN THE X39 SURPLUS ITS THE SAME CASE JUST BLOWN OUT. 338 GRENDAL IS 6.5 GRENDAL NECKED UP UN ALTERED.
ALEXANDER ARMS HAS THE BRASS MY DIES CAME FROM RCBS AND CH4D HAS THE PRINT ALSO I THINK

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

FrownerA wet dream? thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:

Roger
I'm not sure I understand your reply...

Anyway, I believe I was given bad info. I am now being told that the die set he has is marked "338 Scorpion".

So I guess now my question is, WTH is a 338 Scorpion?

He is going to send me some loaded rounds and the dies and other components.

I will post pick and any other questions when I get more info. I just need to make sure I get things right as the rifle is in a little country on the other side of the world.

Thanks for the replies.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:

Roger
I'm not sure I understand your reply... FrownerJust my attempt at crude humor. popcorn

I will post pick and any other questions when I get more info. I just need to make sure I get things right as the rifle is in a little country on the other side of the world..

waveNot that it can't be done; but how will you get the ammo absolutly right without the rifle? This is not exactly an easy task especially with a wild cat. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Unless you already have a smaller bolt face for the AK round--(.443)

Why not use a 338 BR (AKA 338 Whisper) on a std .473 bolt face?

Dies and reamers readily available as are cases---
(whether small primer BR's necked up or std. large primer 308 shortened and necked up)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote