Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 358 win mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted
Of course it kills! You can't argue with a bullet that starts out at a diameter that .30 caliber bullets achieve only through mushrooming!

My throated .358 NM digests 78.0 grains H414 under a Hornady 250 gr. Interlock. MV is 2890fps. It hasn't met an elk yet that didn't collapse immediately!

Interesting how these threads wander, and how emotional everyone gets! YIKES!

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that you can also shoot .358 pistol bullets, ie, 158 grain. Cheap for practice/plinking. I use them in my Whelen. But go any lighter and they don't fly as straight in my 1 in 16 twist barrel.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Agreed. But until a Hornady Interlock fails me, I continue to sing their praises. As Jack O'Connor once said, "At what point in the animal's death did the bullet fail?"

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always liked the 358 Norma or the 35 Griffen and Howe and have used both a bit...but I will sure argue the bullet availability with anyone..

Most 35 cal. bullets are pretty darn soft IMO, and I base that on using them, I suspect most are not made with fast velocity in mind..

I do like the 225 gr. Noslers,and I like the Woodleighs on plainsgame and elk, but not on big stuff...I'm not a Swift fan, but some good monolithics are available I suspect and perhaps Northfork makes a 35 cal. and if so it will be the best out there..

The situation is looking better for the 35 bulletwise, but be carefull about bullet selection..Some bullets on this thread that have been recommended will come apart like a bomb on a big tough animal, and thats not an assumption...

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote