New
Find
Notify
Tools

advice on 7mm08
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Iam looking into having built a 7mm08 ackley what sort of performance can I expect and is this caliber better than the 30.06 performance wise

Posts: 103 | Location: England | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You might want to post this over at 24hourcampfire, in the custom guns and wildcats section. This are a few big fans of the 7-08 over there.

With that said, it will not out perform the 30-06. A 165 gr bullet at some 3000 fps from the -06 will well and goodly trump the best of 7-08 loads.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Foxshooter:

Within the past year I had a 7-08AI built. Its on a a Model 7 action with a 22 1/2 inch #2 Hart barrel and in a Banser stock. After a couple of hundred rounds including fireforming I settled on 140 gr Partitions at 3100fps and 120 gr Ballistic Tips at 3250. The partitions have around a 20 shot .5" agg at 100 yds and the Ballistic tips are shooting into about .350 for the last 15 to 20 shots. Both loads are with H414 powder, Rem brass, and Win mag primers. Before anyone questions the velocity I have to say that I'm a bit suspicious myself. All my testing was done with my Chrony. Its always been accurate but I hadn't used it in awhile. We did shoot some known velocity loads from my 243 and some 22 rimfire match ammo of a known velocity. Both checked out. But, next summer I'm going to shoot some of these loads through some other chronongraphs. Whatever the speed I'm sure the rifle is what I wanted. I'm happy even if my choronograph is a bit high; there is no disputing the accuracy. Rick Picarretta of RDP Rifles built the gun for me. Rick and I shot benchrest together and he has built a lot of record holding 1000 yd rifles.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a 2.5" high @100 yard zero, the difference in trajectory between 2975fps and 3185fps with the same bullet is 4.4" according to Sierra Infinity. The heavy part of the crosshair with most duplex's will more than compensate for the difference.
I have not had a chance to see what my new 7/08 will do, but my last one with a 24" Shilen barrel would not "crank out" the velocities like you and your friend are getting. But just like some barrels are "fast" some are "slow". My feeling is that if you had chambered your rifle in standard 7/08 and tested, and then improved the chamber you would find a more realistic "improvement" of 100-125 fps. Is it worth it? Only the owner himself can decide. I think the 7/08 should have a 30* shoulder instead of the 20* factory or the 40* AI. So I guess I will have to design a 284 DGR and rechamber mine.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet money on higher velocities,..and as that other thread will no doubt admit,..the pressures will be higher. However,.the shoulder angle will negate the brass stretch and primer pocket lossening,.so the pressure is a non-issue (unless one loads the case to a pressure that is rediculous,..even in a non-AI case).

then there is the ability to use slower powders to lenghten the pressure curve which makes them perform even better than the parent,..especially with heavy for caliber pills.

I have 3 ackleys and several more in the works. The 7-08AI my gunsmith built for himself,..by his own comment, was a steller performer even with loads of slow powder that were compressed. Matter of fact,..that was the way his liked to shoot the best.

I have already figured to turn my 28" 280ai into a 7-08ai once it has to be set back,.I already have an action ready for it too

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pressure has been no problem at all. Some cases are on their 6th loading with no signs at all of any kind of damage. As for the standard round, havent fooled with reloading it as I dont own a standard 7-08. The one I used belonged to a friend. And do bear in mind that extra 2" of barrel length helps velocitywise as well. And the fact that I may have a "fast" barrel may also be a factor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Foxshooter:

Within the past year I had a 7-08AI built. Its on a a Model 7 action with a 22 1/2 inch #2 Hart barrel and in a Banser stock. After a couple of hundred rounds including fireforming I settled on 140 gr Partitions at 3100fps and 120 gr Ballistic Tips at 3250. The partitions have around a 20 shot .5" agg at 100 yds and the Ballistic tips are shooting into about .350 for the last 15 to 20 shots. Both loads are with H414 powder, Rem brass, and Win mag primers. Before anyone questions the velocity I have to say that I'm a bit suspicious myself. All my testing was done with my Chrony. Its always been accurate but I hadn't used it in awhile. We did shoot some known velocity loads from my 243 and some 22 rimfire match ammo of a known velocity. Both checked out. But, next summer I'm going to shoot some of these loads through some other chronongraphs. Whatever the speed I'm sure the rifle is what I wanted. I'm happy even if my choronograph is a bit high; there is no disputing the accuracy. Rick Picarretta of RDP Rifles built the gun for me. Rick and I shot benchrest together and he has built a lot of record holding 1000 yd rifles.

knobmtn

I don't doubt your velocities at all. I had a 7-08AI on a Sako L579 with a 23-1/2" Pac Nor tube. 3100+ was easy with IMR4350 pushing a 140 Ballistic Tip.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote