338-06AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would love some good fire form loads for 338-06AI

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Assuming the chamber was cut correctly so that there is no issue with headspace on factory brass I always used the COW and bullseye method. If you want to use a bullet get the cheapest one you can find and load a med heavy 338-06 load of a faster buring powder. Then go use it for plinking or if you are lucky hunting.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CLK320..I fireformed some brass for my 338-06AI yesterday morning using 200gr Hornady spitzers and 35 whelen brass that I necked down to 338..the load I used was 53 gr of IMR4895 Here is what I got for results..before and after...

I expect the shoulder to sharpen up more the next time I fire it...

Zeeriverrat

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I always fireformed mine with full-house max loads for the standard 338-06. I had read and later proved through experience that the starting loads don't have enough pressure to fully form the shoulder and you will often get splits in the shoulder.

Plus, they are usually among the most accurate and you can hunt coyotes or other varmints with them while getting your inventory of properly shaped brass.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to fform some loads for my 338-06. I have about 50 rds. of 338-06 nickel cases I was going to try. I've been told there somewhat harder. Has anyone had any experience fireforming nickel cases? Thanks

Posts: 44 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I tried using nickel cases years ago and had trouble with the nickel flaking off.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ramrod 340

Had'nt thought of that but it makes perfect sense.

Posts: 44 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I used it at first as well. It takes higher pressure to fully form and mine split case necks sooner than plain brass.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote