Find
Notify
Tools

14/221 Walker
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Any one have any experience with the 14/221 Walker?

I've been looking into building this rifle. I've found most everything that is needed with the exception of dies. Any thoughts on dies?

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try asking at www.saubier.com

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out http://www.extremeaccuracy.net...ipts/default.aspthey do not list dies but they probably know who stocks them. I have Lyman dies that are about 20 years old that were custom at the time. I know RCBS also used to list them in their custom lineup. I am a fan of www.ch4d.com as well. I have a couple sets of their dies and custom orders only seem to take a couple weeks. I have only had my 14/221 for 6 months or so, but it is a lot of fun. What are you building it on?

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Matthewx,

I was thinking of building it off a Remington 700 Small Short Action. What did you build yours off of?

Dies has been the problem. I checked your CH4D site and they have them listed. It might be doable now.

Are you getting your buller supply from Extreme Accuracy?

Any shots on varmints thus far? I'm planning on using mine as a prairie dog round. But the more I think about it and the winds that are typically associated with prairie dog country, I might just go with the standard 221 fireball. Plus, lots more access to components.

I don't know I'm still undecided, but thought it would certainly be different and fun to play with!

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought mine used from a guy who built it 20 odd years ago and was sick of cleaning the small bore. It is on a Savage action. I have been intending to build one on a Remington 700 short action like you are for years but never got around to it. When this one came along it was not the exact gun I wanted but it was the exact cartridge and an acceptable gun. I figured I could decide if I like it and then build the "perfect" one from my experience with it.

I got a bunch of 17gr bullets from the original owner and bought a bunch of 15gr and 10gr bullets from extreme accuracy not to mention a bunch of loading accessories.

I have not shot any varmints yet, but that is a big yet. The weather around here has been terrible and work has been busy(good thing, but bad for shooting time) but it is great fun on rocks and cans etc.

I ordered a new Ohler35 which is supposed to be delivered the end of the summer so I can get crono info then. This is the first time I have really cared about cronographing a load. I always just loaded to what worked and shot well and yes I have owned a crony and used friends but never really cared what the velocity was as long as it ws accurate.

I hope to get more time with it tomorrow actually but the weather is looking like rain and wind, neither of which are favorable to my shooting.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know if he has any on hand or not, but try Al Straitiff at Competitor Corp, 603-532-9483

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built mine about six months ago and am having a ball! It is very accurate and a swift killer. I shot a coyote at my brothers place in Canyonville, Or at about 110 yds. He stood there and looked at me after the shot and I thought I missed. Then he just collapsed. Heart/lung shot and the top of his heart was GONE. Mine is on a trued etc etc Rem 700.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote