New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Mashburn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have dimensions for the 350 Mashburn Super Magnum? All I can find are comparisons with other cartridges...not exactly precise.

Posts: 555 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
This is what I have for it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Pretty much a 358 STA, but with a slightly longer neck.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Although Quickload doesn't show a drawing for it, it does list it, QL shows 96.51 grains H2O total capacity. 358 STA has 105.00 grs H2O.

Interesting, QL shows the drawing above as having 100.11 gr. H2O capacity.

PS, there is a lot more information on that cartridge design then shows on the drawing. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
9% volume diff? Not a chance.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mick, that was what I was wanting...I'm getting ready to build a STA and was wondering how they compared.

Just off the cuff, it looks like the Mashburn has a longer neck and more taper.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
9% volume diff? Not a chance.

It's a wildcat. It's possible that most of the measurements were made with a ruler and calipers. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ongwe ----- As a long time shooter of the .358 STA, I, along with me son can highly reccomend the round for larger game, particularly game that bites back. We have used it in Alaska, Alberta and Africa. Layne Simpson came up with the idea using the 8mm Mag case enlarged to .358. Simpson and Kenny Jarrett built the first one on a Lilja tube and Winchester action, if memory serves me right. The two we shoot are from the Winchester Custom shop and a gun builder from Wyoming on post 64 action, both are tack drivers when the shooterr does his part, particularly when used with Northfork bullets. Many articles have been written most by Simpson, a google will find them. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manson reamer, Redding dies, 100 pieces of Quality Cartridge brass for travel and a couple hundred 8 mag pieces for everything else, three Winchester actions to choose from and a new SuperGrade stock in hand. If Lilja would get me my barrel, I'd be in business. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ongwe ----- It looks like you have done your homework well. Supperior Ammo did offer custom rounds with the STA headstamp with several of the better bullets. You probably know already but you can find reloading info in the Nosler reloading manuals up to #6, the Barnes manuals also offered loads. The old A-Square manual was the original information and some of the Lyman manuals have loads. RL-22 with Fed 215M primers are our magic loads with Northforks in 225-250-270 grain, Nosler Partition 250 grains, Swift A-Frams in 280 grain or Barnes TSX in 250 grains. You can find bullets from 185 grains up to Woodleigh up to 310 grains. I also shot a very accurate 250 grain Kodiak bullet didn't hold up in my test box. Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ongwe,

No need to wait on a barrel. I have a Winchester model 70 358 STA with a Super grade stock ready for you. It has a Krieger barrel 26 inches long. Lots of brass too. PM me if you are interested.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote