Find
Notify
Tools

Carcano wildcat ? PICS!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
35 Remington is one of my favorites, and Tom (DPCD) barreled a '91 Mauser to that for me; turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles I have!

I've been using the 180 gr Barnes TTSX with a load that chronographs to a bit over 2400 fps with no pressure signs and long case life. If you are interested in the exact load send me a PM.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, I've worked out that the expanded case is almost identical to the 356 Win. so I'm going to use load data from that to start with.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a new Carcano project, the 220 Swift case is a close match for the Carcano. Except for the rim. That opens up the possibility of a 220 Carcano and all the Swift based wildcats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have read...
The steel used for Carcano rifles, came from Poldi Steel Works in Bohemia.
They are not as "fragile" as some people make them out to be. That doesnt mean run it at 65,000 psi, but they are quite strong.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I have seen these for sale on on-line gun sites in 8x57, 308 and all sorts of calibres........not sure if I'd like to fire them though shocker

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Roger, this has been a great project. Can't wait to hear field reports. Cool
I was much more intrigued by the Carcano action after reading Frank de Haas's favorable analysis in his "Bolt Action Rifles" years ago.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I'm starting with 180gr hard casts in the load development but it will take a while as I'm just starting to move house and everything's packed away at the moment...

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, can you show more detail of how you modified the Carcano stock? Is the final pic one that you modified or is it one that is the result of the pantograph?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
OK, starting from the top...
notched out the grip for a pistol grip, block of wood dowelled and glued in position, some wood screwed to the butt to increase length of pull and some body filler added to sides to widen....
second pic...
shape everything as required...
The cheekpiece was cut and shaped and then dowelled on...
then its a lot of sanding, spray cans of hi-fill primer, more sanding and then several coats of Epoxy enamel.
The better the finish on the template/ pattern stock the less finishing after the pantograph.
The epoxy gives a hard finish for the pantograph stylus to run on.
The grey stocks are patterns ready for the pantograph.

This is a very oversimplified description, but you get the idea.....

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, thank you for the info and pictures.
I wonder if the pattern stock would be strong enough for field use. I may try my hand at creating one.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote