New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on wildcat 25-270 ICL
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The dies are custom Huntington and are marked as noted above. Any information is greatly appreciated. Also have a Wilson case trimmer with a specialty case holder for this cartridge.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between a 25-'06 and a 25-270?

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The shoulder on the 25-270 ICL appears radiused like a weatherby case but not quite instead of a tapered shoulder.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Is this the same as the .25/.270 ICL Ram? According to Ackley, it is the ".270 round necked to shoot .257" bullets, and has the case blown out by firing in the ICL chamber". He doesn't give case dimensions, but the shoulder looks very sharp, and the neck is quite long-(in the picture). The picture of the case shoulder in the Ackley Handbook does NOT appear radiused to me.....

Ackley says that you can get 3450 FPS out of it with 117-grain bullets using 61 grains of old surplus H4831. He did not give barrel length....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's the cartridge. Should clean my glasses once in a while I guess as it does has a very sharp shoulder and long neck. What does ICL stand for? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle has a 98 mauser action of unknow origin with a 26" Phifer barrel. Any thing known about Phifer? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that the ICL family of cartridges was the brain child of Vern Juenke of Saturn Gun works in Reno, Nv. I do not know if they are still in busines or not but were quite active in the sixties and seventies.

Posts: 48 | Location: Henderson, Nv. | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This cartridge was designed by Arnold Juenke and was first mentioned in a Santa Monica Gun & Rod Shop ad that appeared in the April, 1949 American Rifleman.
ICL = Increased Capacity Load according to that advertisement.

www.aement.com
Home of AccuLoad and LoadTech

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyones responses. The former owner of this rifle was a long time predator control officer out of Reno, NV for the federal government and used to work partime in a local shop in Reno. Sounds like Juenke at Saturn Gun shop. His battery of rifles included the 25-270 ICL, pre-64 70, 220 Swift, T/C in 22LR, 357 and 45colt/410.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyK-9:
Yes, that's the cartridge. Should clean my glasses once in a while I guess as it does has a very sharp shoulder and long neck. What does ICL stand for? Thanks

In the Ackley book, he states that "the ICL line of cartridges (was) originated and developed by Mr. Arnold Juenke, Reno, Nev. ....The ICL line closely resembles the older Ackley line of improved cartridges. They use the minimum body taper and sharp shoulder principle to a slightly greater degree, and probably represent the maximum for these two characteristics"... but Ackley does not say what ICL stands for. At least, I did not find an explanation for that. But "increased capacity Load" sounds reasonable.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote