Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Winchester Express?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
I've seen a few references to this cartridge, anyone have any experience with it (or have a brother-in-law who knew someone who once watched someone shoot one? )

Looks like it would fit in a standard length action and shoot about like a .416 RemMag. Wonder what the parent cartridge is and who dreamed it up?

tia

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is or was the 416 Howell created by Ken Howell and pitched to Winchester right before they had one of their financial crisis. They lost interest and Dr. Howell went on his way.

It's a 404 Jeff. shortened to fit in a standard ('06) length action, blown out and necked down to 416.

Those who have used it seem to be happy with its performance.

But I wouldn't swear to any of it!

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the story I got as well.
John Ricks has built a few on standard actions.
I'd shoot him a PM for more info.
I hear 400/2400 is a breeze with a 24" bbl.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, it looks like a neat cartridge. Any '06 action length cartridge that pushes a 400gr bullet to 2,400fps looks like fun

Wonder how hard case forming is? I also saw a .416-.338 WM wildcat that might be easier to form, but it doesn't seem to have the top end.

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RickR, if you are looking for a .416 400 grainer at 2400 fps in an '06 action you might look at the 416 Taylor. I recently bought an A&B barrel to put on a left hand savage rifle with a belted magnum bolt head. Everything I hear indicates it should be an easy alteration. I got a set of dies from Midway, Lee dies for $23.99, super cheap for a wildcat. I formed 50 rounds the other day by running 458WM brass thru the sizing die, and there you have it.
Just wanted to mention it for you to consider.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416/338 is a 416 Chatfield-Taylor...A 400 gr. bullet at 2350 FPS...

I would think just opening up a standard action to a 404 Jefferys or 416 Rem is the best approach.

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote