New
Find
Notify
Tools

284= 7.5 Swiss Imp?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Someone double check me, but it sure looks like Winchester took the 7.5x55, necked it down and improved the taper, rebated the rim and made the 284.
Withe fair availabilty of 7.5x55 ammo, wonder why no one is chambering k98's in it? With a good turnbolt it should easily beat 280 Rem factory loads. Improve the case and it'll be a nice little rocket launcher. Note it has a 3.10" COL, so even as-is would be a dandy.
Perhaps neck to 8mm for quick-n-dirty conversion, or even 7mm or 6.5mm if you prefer.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
It is a little peach, and I also wonder why it is not more widely used, but have alwayst thought case availability was the cause.

It would be the perfect switch-barrel to the .376 Steyr. Caliber is true .308, so there is a world of bullets. Should duplicate the .30-06. With bullet set out a bit, even more.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedHelp me out here. Are you saying to chamber 30 cal. barrels to 7.5 Swiss and use .284 case?

Or are you saying to use mod. 98 actions to mount 7.5 Swiss barrels and use the available ammo.

Or am I missing it all together? bewildered

Either way there are obsticles to be overcome. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I don't understand either!?

I have a Swiss-Ruben K31 - i.e. 7.5x55 Swiss

I reformed 284 Win. brass for my first reloads. But switched to Graf and Prvi brass when it became available. ???

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first part of my post was just a noticing, that the 284 seems to be nothing more than a modified 7.5 case, which is odd if true since it's such a sideline cartridge, and was even moreso when the 284 came out.
Roger, I certainly mean to use the 7.5 Swiss case. It has the COL for the Mauser already, and if necked to 8mm it would be cinch to open the boltface and file the rails a bit. Of course, you'd end up with 8mm-06 with expensive brass, but It's easier these days to find 100pc of the brass than to get a barrel chambered and open up the magazine, etc. (Screwing on a K31 bbl is an interesting proposition, though the chances of the tenon allowing proper rethreading is slim - haven't looked into it.)
If you do have a barrel in any of the 308-based cartridges it could be chambered to this case (or improved version thereon) and very little work involved. A dandy 358 round for cast bullets or 270-300g pills, and using an old 260R bbl it would do what everyone loves about the 6.5-284 without the rebated rim.
A 6.5-7.5x55 and a 376 Steyr switch-barrel would be the bomb. Might even have to make a .416" if you have the means.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I just do not see why you will not use it as it is?

For the use u talk about, it would be easier to neck down the .376 Steyr?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're absolutely right. I was more just thinking out loud wondering why no one had done any catting on this case. The Steyr has only been around for what, seven years?

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
You're absolutely right. I was more just thinking out loud wondering why no one had done any catting on this case. The Steyr has only been around for what, seven years?

Well, probably because it is better to lengthen the magazine and use .30-06 cases for better magazine capasity.
Very few actions demands this middle lenght cartridge.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be mistaken, but IIRC L Walther chambers the 7.5x55 in 98 prefit barrels, or used to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
Very few actions demands this middle lenght cartridge.

Quite right, and one of the main problems with the world! I can't think of a single 308-based round (including itself) that I wouldn't rather have .3" longer, especially when the action allows (e.g., M70 short action.) Same for the 6.5 and 350 RM's. WSM's for that matter.
Oh well, that's what I get for calling in sick the day they asked for opinions....

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesReally a nicely designed cartridge but in the repertoire of contemporary sporting cartridges ,it's nitch is probably as big as that of the 303 Savage. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote