THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Research of information on the case 255 Dean which is mentioned in P.O Ackley

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Research of information on the case 255 Dean which is mentioned in P.O Ackley
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To give me of could you recommends case of what me can form it is these dimensions
Mercie for the information which can you provide me
On case 255 Dean

posted Hide Post
I have no idea what the dimensions of this case are but in going through Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders I came on a mention of the .255 Dean in the section on the .25-20 WCF. It's based on the .25-20 WCF case by blowing the shoulder forward from what Mr Ackley says.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help, it's apparently not a very popular wildcat.

Posts: 3 | Location: Billings | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's your answer: The .255 Dean is a wildcat improvement on the .25-20 repeater cartridge. It was designed in 1941 by Harry Dean of Buffalo, N.Y.
This case has straight walls an abrupt but rounded shoulder and a short neck;and it holds 17 gr. of 4227 powder. The regular working load was 15-16 gr. of IMR 4227 behind the 60 gr. factory bullet with an expected velocity of 2500 fps. The .255 Dean rifle chamber will accept the standard .25-20
factory cartridges and reshapes them as they are fired. There was an article about this cartridge in the American Rifleman by Fred Ness, but I don't know what year..probably in the 1940's. If I can find it, I'll forward more info to you.
The only other source I can think of (I checked the others) is the Wildcat Cartridges Book published by Wolfe Publishing...the books are still around & can be found on Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble. Maybe Wolfe still sells them?
From a wildcatter point of view, the problem of this cartdidge would be to find how to chamber it? Unless, you found an original .255 Dean chambered rifle, then you're all set. Just fire form .25-20 cases in it. Otherwise, no one will have a .255 Dean reamer. A custom one could be made, but they'd need the dimensions of the case or a couple of fired .255 Dean cases.
Anyway, that's all I know about it...and only one valued book had info on it.
Aloha,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank for your information

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white bison:
Here's your answer: The .255 Dean is a wildcat improvement on the .25-20 repeater cartridge. It was designed in 1941 by Harry Dean of Buffalo, N.Y.
This case has straight walls an abrupt but rounded shoulder and a short neck;and it holds 17 gr. of 4227 powder. The regular working load was 15-16 gr. of IMR 4227 behind the 60 gr. factory bullet with an expected velocity of 2500 fps. The .255 Dean rifle chamber will accept the standard .25-20
factory cartridges and reshapes them as they are fired. There was an article about this cartridge in the American Rifleman by Fred Ness, but I don't know what year..probably in the 1940's. If I can find it, I'll forward more info to you.
The only other source I can think of (I checked the others) is the Wildcat Cartridges Book published by Wolfe Publishing...the books are still around & can be found on Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble. Maybe Wolfe still sells them?
From a wildcatter point of view, the problem of this cartdidge would be to find how to chamber it? Unless, you found an original .255 Dean chambered rifle, then you're all set. Just fire form .25-20 cases in it. Otherwise, no one will have a .255 Dean reamer. A custom one could be made, but they'd need the dimensions of the case or a couple of fired .255 Dean cases.
Anyway, that's all I know about it...and only one valued book had info on it.
Aloha,
Tom

thank for your information

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have consistent success with wildcats that are an "Improved" version like this .255 Dean. Just seat a bullet "jammed" into the lands about .020" with some Bullseye and it will form well. I do that for my AW Sukalle Borchardt in a 25-35 Win Imp.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote