New
Find
Notify
Tools

219 Donaldson Wasp
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the best bolt action on which to build a 219 Donaldson Wasp ?

Must be available in left-hand.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 788.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
Remington 788.

Jeff

The left-hand Remington 788 was available in 6mm Remington and 308 Winchester.

The right-hand version was available in several other calibers including the rimmed 44 Rem Mag and 30/30 Winchester, the parent case of the 219 Donaldson Wasp.

Can the bolt heads between the lefty and right-hand be changed ?

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer

Don't go through all the expense of changing bolts. Just do what many shooters did in the heyday of the Wasp - have the case rims turned to the 30-06 diameter.

BTW, the parent case of the Wasp is the 219 Zipper. It's true that the Wasp can be made from any case with the same rim dimensions of the Zipper but is was the Zipper that Harvey Donaldson first used. Hence the name "219" Wasp.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
Hammer

Don't go through all the expense of changing bolts. Just do what many shooters did in the heyday of the Wasp - have the case rims turned to the 30-06 diameter.

BTW, the parent case of the Wasp is the 219 Zipper. It's true that the Wasp can be made from any case with the same rim dimensions of the Zipper but is was the Zipper that Harvey Donaldson first used. Hence the name "219" Wasp.

Ray

Ray,

Thanks for the response.

Appreciate that Harvey Donaldson started with the 219 Zipper. From previous inquiries that I have made, always get questions back as to its parent cartridge and few remember the 219 Zipper. End up exchanging multiple times to get them to understand what case could be used today to build it.

Also appreciate that many turn the rims down, but I want the original rimmed version. Already have 200 fireformed cases ready to go.

Consider the Winchester/Browning single-shot action and the Ruger #1 or #3 actions, but seem to remember that Harvey Donaldson used a bot action in benchrest competition. So certainly there is a bolt action that can handle it.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
What chamber was your brass fireformed in?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
What chamber was your brass fireformed in?

Another person's rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The latest issue of GunList had an ad for a 219 Donaldson Wasp built on a Model 70 action. It was by Safari Outfitters, 845-677-5444.

I have a Wasp built on a Sharps-Borchardt. It is a great little cartridge and very accurate.

There is a lot of history/information on the Wasp by Donaldson in the book Wildcat Cartridges by Dick Simmons. I got my book off of eBay and I have seen a couple of other copies there.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Not a bolt, mine is built on a Remington Rolling Block.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote