Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 SAUM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted
considering one. I know you are probably thinking "why not use the WSM parent case...in order to take advantage of the better Euro brass?" Well I already own and load for a 300WSM and would like my first wildcat to have a different headstamp. Longevity and market share issues aside, if you make a close comparison of the load data Nosler worked up for #5 it appears that the SAUM case is a slightly more efficient vessel than the WSM. Of course it is not a true apples to apples comparison as their 300 WSM 26" Wiseman test tube was a 4 groover.
Am considering using 6.5 Rem Mag data for start load development guidlines....Thoughts???

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dave:
I;ve already done 5 6.5/WSM for the142s'. They work well as long as you do not exceed the limits of the bullet. Like the 6.5/284, the optimum velocity is from 2950 to 3100 for best grouping. The WSM case is more overbore than the 284. I also have a short version of the WSM in 6.5 that works with a 96% load of powder. This one is still new with more testing to verify, but so far it looks like a better round. Im able to use a slower powder than what works with the WSM and 284 case. Muzzle pressure is 10 to 14% lower and velocities are achieved with 5% less powder.

There are a few of my US F Class Team members who are looking at the WSSM 243 brass in hope of using it for a 6.5. I think it will lack enough room to get what we want out of it, but have to wait to work one up and test. I have found some 243 and 223 WSSM brass once fired and await it being shipped to me.
If you would like, send a PM to wtc@webryders.com and I'll be glad to respond with info as the project progresses.

Alan Warner

Posts: 29 | Location: NH | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan in the 6.5/284 to get to above 3000 with 140's how much tube do you need to use (length?)

Thanks

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Alan, sounds like your short WSM will be similar to my 6.5 SAUM... If you deviated from the 35 what's the shoulder angle on that jewel? Looks like my case capacity is right around 68.7 grains of water to the base of the neck. I'm thinking RL-19 and one of the 4831s for bcs in the .4s and maybe RL-22 and Viht N550 for the VLDs...I'm not going to be doing much long range paper punching. Just wanting to mess with a wildcat for white-tails and the occasional varmint. Let me know how your load dev. progresses.
Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark:
I've always used and built for target work for 1000 BR, prone and F Class some where around 40 or 50 guns chambered for 6.5/284 using almost always 30" tubes.
Velocities from them can reach 3300 without a problem. The 142 Sierra, Lapua 139, 141 Cararuccio all work best slowed up to 2950 to 3100. I would guess that 3000 should be readily obtained from a 27" tube. Accurate loads may be slower.

posted Hide Post
Dave:
The Short has started life a little more than half the differance from the wsm and the wssm. Shoulder is maintained at 35 with the neck length increased. Necks are turned to work in a .296 chamber. I also have a reamer with a .294 neck. This case is shorter than the saum. I'm actually hopeful that V V 170 will work with the 140 weight pills.

R19 may be to fast. R22 is probably a better choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad has been using RL25 and H1000 in his 6.5WSM with the 30" tube. It's pushing 140's at 3250 fps at around max loads on the Oehler 43.

I'd use the slow powders, his and others are working perfectly with them and groups are beautifully small!

He has his seated out real long, boatail only protrudes past the base of the neck, and uses 700 long actions for his 300WSM and the 6.5WSM both. I have lots of info on his loads if you need it.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent Moffitt:
My dad has been using RL25 and H1000 in his 6.5WSM with the 30" tube. It's pushing 140's at 3250 fps at around max loads on the Oehler 43. <br /><br />I'd use the slow powders, his and others are working perfectly with them and groups are beautifully small! <br /><br />He has his seated out real long, boatail only protrudes past the base of the neck, and uses 700 long actions for his 300WSM and the 6.5WSM both. I have lots of info on his loads if you need it.

any load data on this?

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am getting good results in my 6.5/SAUM using WMR @ 60.0 with the 129 Hornady [3220 fps]
Ramshot Mag-64.7--3200
RL-22/57.7 --3175.
This is from a 23" McGowan bbl with a 1-10 twist. Accuracy is VG at 100-- exceptional at 200. Haven`t tried it out further as our range has been shut down. These loads were safe in MY rifle. They might be too hot in yours so BE CAREFUL!!!Start low and work up to YOUR max!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alan,
Your design sounds very interesting. I am putting togeather a 6.5 WSM Is your shorty somthing that I can duplicate?
Thanks

Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Warner:
Dave: <br /> The Short has started life a little more than half the differance from the wsm and the wssm. Shoulder is maintained at 35 with the neck length increased. Necks are turned to work in a .296 chamber. I also have a reamer with a .294 neck. This case is shorter than the saum. I'm actually hopeful that V V 170 will work with the 140 weight pills. <br /><br />R19 may be to fast. R22 is probably a better choice.

Posts: 8 | Location: Folsom, CA | Registered: 30 May 2007Reply With Quote