Find
Notify
Tools

Wildcat Crazy -Question for you
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
WC -

recalling your idea to trum '06 based dies and using .35 Rem brass to make "poor mans wildcats"

Thought:

Use 260 Remington dies, as they are .454 at the shoulder, and .470 at the base, therefore about .460 halfway up the body ...

Shorten the 260 dies by about 0.6 - 0.7 ", case length 1.3 - 1.4, gets a nice short 6.5 for us poor folks?

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

I ran the numbers on short chambering the .260 Rem. -.700 would yield a base chamber dia.of
.462294,.600 short chambering yields a dia. of
.4633++.
New .35 Rem. brass measures between .452-.453
about the same as .44 mag and .445 Super Mag brass.

I prefer .005-.006 base clearance on such a wildcat.

I used a shortened 6.5x55 chamber with a .44 Mag case,it worked ok.

The 6.5-06 chamber can be shortened to use the .35 Rem.as can the .445 Super Mag at a length of 1.610.Case capacity would be about 34 grains of water.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not quite what I had hoped for. The '06 version has such a gentle shoulder it loses too much capacity, that is why I had hoped the 6.5-08 might have worked. I was looking for a 6.5 based on the 35 Rem case about 1.6-1.7 long, but with a more "improved" shape. Guess I will just keep looking ....

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 grendel?
woofer

if you aint' livin', you're dyin'.

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

What is the measurement from the breech face to the rear of the chamber on the rifle you were contemplating using?

Maybe,I have an idea you could use.

Anyone have the reamer dimensions or cartridge dimensions for the 6.5 Grendel?

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grendel is trade marked and no-way will Bill let you at that one, there is too much interest from certain areas. That's why I was looking at WCs method of making "cheap" wildcats with existing reamers and dies. I am essentially looking for a 6.5 mm that is about 1.5 - 1.7" long CASE LENGTH, and 0.44 - 0.50 at the base. Anything inside that envelope will get closer scrutiny. MUST be rimless, though

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't have any chamber dimensions handy, but I'm pretty sure you can make that work by cutting down a 6.5X55 die to size .308 cases down. I did just that with some dummy rounds, but for the life of me, I don't recall what the finished length was (1.75"?), I'll have see if I can dig them up when I get home. Just use a standard 6.5X55 reamer sunk shallow. If you can't get the shoulder set back quite enough, you might need to slightly shorten the neck. That would require a special reamer though.

The other option is the 6.5 BR. Dies and reamers exist, and no need to trim brass, just run 7 BR brass through the FL die and you're good to go. You can use a 22 br chamber reamer, then go back with a sepperate neck/throat reamer.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

Think,.284 Win. trimmed to 1.6-1.650.What stops me from giving a definite length is not knowing the measurement from the boltface to the rear of the chamber.

The 6.5 STW reamer would cut a chamber with a base dia of .5015 (the .284 Win. reamer cuts .501 at the base),shoulder dia. of the reamer is.491,neck length is .270,shoulder angle is 25 degrees.The freebore dia is .265x.150 long.

WC

one of us
posted Hide Post
WC

I already have that one, with reamer and even custom dies, I used the 300 Win Mag reamer run short. It gets very close to 308 Win performance from a 1.575" long case. I was hoping to stay closer to 0.44-0.47, as that would allow double stacking in the mag. Ideally, an improved version of the 6.5-06 shortened based on 35 Rem brass, but I might just go with a 6 x 45 based on Carcano brass ... that might just get me the extra oomph I am looking for, a longer version of the 6 PPC ....

Still searching for that Holy Grail.

BTW, anyone have case dimensions for the 6mm Dasher and 6mm X?

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

For aview of the 6mm BRX reamer follow this link.

http://www.clymertool.com/cgi-bin/reamer.cgi?

WC