THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    .408 Ultra mag would it work and how fast?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.408 Ultra mag would it work and how fast?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought about 416 ultra mag but thats old news.I thought up the 408 ultra mag.The poor mans long range rifle.Would it be worth fooling with?The rifle should shoot the 400 gr bullets about 2600 fps and the 320 grs about 2900 fps at least.I think it would be a cool rifle.It would be stainless and about 8.5 pounds with a 26 inch fluted barrel.A big Weatherby accumark but totally stainless with weatherby muzzle break.That I could tote around and shoot.I cant tote a 25 pound rifle around.It would be an awesome long range big game rifle.Question can it be done under $2000 .I wish weatherby or remington with their sendero would build such a gun so it would not be $12,000.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could get the rifle and dies together for way under $2k.
But then plan to spend hundreds on a custom batch of excellent .408" bullets. Not at all a job for the poor man.
Give it a decade and see where Chey-Tac goes, then maybe.
As for 2900 at least, well I say at maybe.
Seat it to 3.8" and you'll have a shot. Compare with 416 Wb for more info.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
basic question what bullet you plan to use ? Lost River is a real no accuracy bullet and a nice barrel killer so except that wish to get some new product in 2004 ...and make a bankloan for custom tooling ..

if you want to make serious ultra long range shooting as the mile shooting ( no need amazing caliber for just 1000/1200 yards ) 338/378 with short throat i svery nice easy to reload and impressive with 300 SMK ( a real bullet with proven performance ) a 32 inch barrel allow you to break the 3000 fps barrier and reach the 1800 yards with supersonic bullet

338/378 WEA reloading dies is low cost available frommost company , case are readty to use even if I use 378 neck down to get a perfect neck turning case

I have one in process on my Fortek rifle

there is an interesting article on Lilja web site

as low cost easy cartridge the 300 Ultra tight chambe throated for 220/240 SMK is very good with 30 inch barrel at 1600 yards and more and no need of giant action

Good shooting and trust only in real facts

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As was mentioned you have no bullets so the rifle would look pretty cool sitting in the rack but being a definite non-starter that would be all you could do with it. The recoil would make it most unpleasant to shoot at 8.5 lbs. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am completely lost...WHY are we shaving .008 off of .416?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a new caliber for extreme long range.It is for 3000 yard shooting.The bullets are .9 bc.The 408 CT is a 505 gibbs necked down with thicker brass.It operates at 70,000 pounds of pressure.I want untimate long range gun .I have a 338-378 weatherby just want next step up.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you mean 70k psi, be sure you have a mean action, like a Hall or such.
And 3k yd is assuming you have Chey-Tac muzzle speeds, which you won't with the RUM.
Also, expect very different results with RUM brass at 70k, b/c it's run at more like 60-64k. You mentioned Weatherby Accumark, not sure what factory Weatherby runs at.
You're going to want as long an action as you can find, because those .9 BC bullets are LOOONG. They will eat up that powder room for breakfast, and you'll end up with about 2300 fps. Not bad and maybe supersonic out to 1k (someone?), but if you use a 4" box, you might get more like 2550. And if you already have that giant action, consider using 460 brass. Almost as cheap (compared to 408 C-T) and much bigger, and it sounds like you're already tooled up for the case. Seat that sucker in one of these out to 3.8" or so, and you'll hit 2650+ with a 30" bbl.
Then go fin as long a range as you can and have fun!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3000 fps with 408 Cheyenne is just in the LRB stuff brain if you want real information 408 REAL performance you need to go to www.longrangehunting.com there are some items on the "wonderfull" 408 cal

BC= 0.9 yes perhaps but rule in bullet trajectoty is
velovity factor with BC factor
a 0.8 bullet launched faster as a 0.9 get the same trajectory

I am a gun builder I can built all the thing I dream and after to have spend ( loose time ) with 408 cal and LRB JUNK I have return to 338 cal and 50 cal

I still say that a 338/378 with 32 inch barrel is the best caliber for 1 mile shooting and up to 2000 m with LOW cost and real ability to shoot as reasonable cost ,
barrel in 0.338 cal are common ( PAC NOR and Lilja make long barrel
case are plenty available
dies are vailable
bullet from Sierra are very good

as soon as you orginzed a demo of 408 shooting at 3000 meters I take an air plane ticket to see that with my eyes , because make wonderfull adds is easy ( internet is dream for that ) but show real material demo that an other story

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote