Find
Notify
Tools

First 6.5 x.284??????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll Eyes For almost 40 yrs. now I've often wondered if I was the first person to have a 6.5X.284 built. I really have no idea. I had never heard of such a round at the time and I owned a very unusual 6.5 Arasaka that became the canadate for it.

In fall or winter of 1966 Ackley rechambered it for me,and it was used for hunting in 1977 (mistake should read 1967).

Does any one know of a predated 6.5x.284?

The same story exists (one year later) for the 6mmx.270 elongated IMP. This started out as a 6mm-06 IMP but the reamer was pushed about .050" to far down the barrel. I would appreciate any input, thanks waveroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
roger

I don't know if you were the first but I do know that wildcatters started necking the 284W up and down as soon as they got their hands on brass in 1963 or 1964. It's just too bad that the Winchester brass was of such poor quality otherwise we would see even more wildcats based on it. Now that good brass is available I think we'll see a lot of those 284 based wildcats that never were.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
roger

I don't know if you were the first but I do know that wildcatters started necking the 284W up and down as soon as they got their hands on brass in 1963 or 1964. Ray

Thanks, Ray

I know at the time Ackley didn't have the right reamer. The neck diameter on every case I fired came out at .316"that's a lot and just the same as the necks on some of my fired 7mm mag cases. I'm not sure what he or his son in law did but that's what I got ,so I doubt if he ever chambered that cartridge before. That is of course unless he butchered it the same as mine.

Does anyone else know of one built previously to 1966??? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedI'm a little disappointed that only one old timer answered this one.

Although my wildcating started early in life there just wasn't much of a line of communication and most of us had little idea of what was going on except for guys like Huntington,Page,Barnes and whoever else got written up in what few magazines we had or the Riflemen.

Now we have the communication in forums such as this and I was hoping to find a piece of history that probably unknowingly passed me by.

Just now while writting this it dawned on me that perhaps not many of the older wildkittens screw around on the computer! That's a real sad story to me. Maybe I'll change my handle to Uncus. Let's see who gets that gem. Frownerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well then, I'm Natty Bumpo! I have an old gun magazine around here with an article by somebody, maybe Wootters, about the 6.5/284. He built one and wasn't thrilled! I will see if I can find it easily. Maybe it will answer your question.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc:
Well then, I'm Natty Bumpo! I have an old gun magazine around here with an article by somebody, maybe Wootters, about the 6.5/284. He built one and wasn't thrilled! I will see if I can find it easily. Maybe it will answer your question.

Thanks,Mark beerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Uncas, it was easy to find. This is from John Wootters in the January, 1982 "Guns and Ammo".

"I believe I was the first to neck the then-just-announced .284 WCF down to 6.5, although it was a close race and the winner doesn't matter. I did have a bolt-action 6.5mm .284 shooting before commercial .284 WCF ammo was placed in distribution."

It may be that John beat you, since he had one before the brass was available to the public.

Your compadre,
Natty(aka Hawkeye)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Uncas

I don't think it has to do with the old wildcatters not being computerites. I am sorry to say that there just ain't many of us around anymore and a lot of those that are here aren't really "here" anymore. Roll Eyes

Now I forgot the question. sleep

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc:
It may be that John beat you, since he had one before the brass was available to the public.

Your compadre,
Natty(aka Hawkeye)
right on and thank you beerroger