New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice - which caliber?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to rebarrel my custom 1909 Argentine Mauser with another caliber (it currently has a 30-06 barrel on it). I have other rifles in just about every standard caliber up to and including 300 Win Mag so I'd like to go with something different such as an Ackley improved or other non-standard caliber in long action but still be able to get dies and brass at a reasonable cost. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has one of these "different" calibers and whether you'd recommend that particular caliber. I'm sure there are some that are great and others that should be avoided. Thanks for your input.

Posts: 302 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 22 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A .338-06 is a good choice,particularly well suited for hunting in PA. It's a wildcat, but not so exotic that dies are prohbitively expensive.

Other good choices are the 6.5mm-06, and the .270 Ackley, which Saeed has used extensively in Africa.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would you go with the 338-06 in stead of a 30-06 AI?

Posts: 302 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 22 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
All the 30-06 AI would do would move it a little closer to the 300Wmag that you already had. If you are just wanting a AI that would be the cheapest. Pull the barrel set it back a little and rechamber. If you are wanting different and AI then the 338-06AI or the 35Whelen AI Either allows you to shoot a heavier bullet. If you don't want the AI just leave them alone. Smaller then like they said the 6.5-06 or AI would be a nice change. I have a wilson barrel in 6.5-06 in my safe just waiting for me to get to it.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point on the 30-06 AI. I hadn't thought about that. Caliber doesn't have to be an AI, I just thought it might be easier to find dies for an AI in lieu of a true wildcat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7x57 AI, aka .275 Rigby Improved. It does for the 7mm what the AI Bob does for the Roberts, or more. Great cartridge!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
A deep throated .256 Newton or 6.5X57. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
.500 Jeffrey

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You definately need something bigger, and considering the classic action you're going to use, I could think of no finer choice than the 9.3X62. Dies, brass and component bullets are easy enough to get ahold of. I can't think of many areas where this is a common caliber, and it'll provide a fine medium bore to add to the rack.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

You definately need something bigger, and considering the classic action you're going to use, I could think of no finer choice than the 9.3X62. Dies, brass and component bullets are easy enough to get ahold of. I can't think of many areas where this is a common caliber, and it'll provide a fine medium bore to add to the rack.

Echo

Or how about a 404 Jeffery

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I third the 338-06, or sixth it or whatever is next. I own one and love it to death. Good brass is available from norma or weatherby, or any 30-06 case is easily converted by running it through your dies. 338 bullet selection is also superb. Weatherby just recently started chambering it also (338-06 weatherby mag)
or (338-06 A-Square) anyway weatherby also makes loaded ammo for it.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the 9.3X64 or if you want to use cheep brass neck up the .358 Norma and get the same results, the Norma does have a bit more case capisity but not much. My wife uses the necked up Norma and with a light load of 76 grains of IMR 4350 she gets 2795 fps with 250 grain bullets. Loadind dies are easy also just go to a .366 diameter long tapered expander in the sizing die and open up the neck of the seating die.

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, well, I have a .338-06 on a M98 which I love, but I also have a .375 Taylor which has been one of the mostest funnest wildcats I've worked with. Should fit that Mauser just fine. Load it up, you're in .375 H and H land, load it down and you're shooting a big, ol' puffer, like a .50 cal muzzleloader. You don't need a 26 inch tube, 22 or 23 is fine. And it makes a very satisfying "boom" when you pop a cap..............

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Necking up an '06 to 8MM (.323)and taking pressure up to 60,000 psi nets you 200 fps with all heavy bullet weights. Using the Ackley Improved case adds another 100 fps and before you know it, you are talking 3500 to 3700 FPE and bullet weights from 125 to 250 grains. The practical difference between this 8MM-06 AI and any of the popular 7mm to .338 caliber mags that fit a standard action is hard to see in the field.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Judson, you beat me to it. I was working my down way the posts and the 9.3x64 popped up 2 seconds before I got to you.

So here's a second vote. It's not really that "exotice" but there's not that many around. You'll have to open the bolt face a bit, though I think there's enough to spare.

This cartridge will fill the next slot in your safe, sounds like good rationale to me.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Shootit,

Obviously from the responses, there are a billion options.
Being a classic fan, I vote for a .35 Whelen. Your 1909 Argentine is a perfect start, just a barrel job.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Mann
posted Hide Post
Not to split hairs here, but the .338-06 is now a standard chambering. It is a great round as I own one on a mauser action. Now I am thinkig about an 8MM-06 because I think the flood gates are about to open on those .323" bullets. With the .325 WSM potential to take off. Or perhaps an 8MM-338WM? Bullet choice with the .338-06 is better than with the .35 Whelen. You could go the way of the .30-338WM. That will fit in a '06 length action. .338-06 imp will get you a bit closer to the .338WM but dies are more exspensive and you will need to fire form cases. I don't think the actual FPS gain will be that great though. Going the other direction towards the .284, .277, .264, and .257 is also an option. I think the 6.5-06 imp is an outstanding option but then you may as well do the .264WM and save on the dies and fire forming. I am not a fan of belted cases so the .280 imp is excellent choice. Pick that one!!! Next time ask an easier question.

Posts: 29 | Location: South.....way south | Registered: 22 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check out the 358 norma mag

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 8mm-06 AI. My next project on a VZ-24 action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to go after medium stuff in open country, how about the 7x64mm.

For bigger stuff, I'd go with the 9.3x62mm (medium range) or 9.3x64mm (longer range).

Cheers,

Rich

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
I would try the 35 Whelen or 9.3 x 62mm.

For a true wildcat the 375 Scovill is a kick. It is the 9.3x62 necked up to 375 using '06 brass. It is listed in the Barnes manual.

For something really different, try the 411 Hawk shooting a 300 grain bullet at 2500 fps out to 300 yds. Dave Scovill and Wayne Von Zoll were both so impressed they each had guns built for the 411 Hawk. Cases are easy to make.

When you spank a deer with the Hawk, they won't clamp their tail down and run off. They just drop dead. You will like it.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote