Find
Notify
Tools

.338x74 keith
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
I finally got my #1 back from BCRW. It is chambered in .338x74Keith. This is a 9.3x74R necked down to .338 & improved. The case cap. is close to a .338Winmag, but the LOA is almost 4"! So much for the short & fat craze.
So far I have only shot fireforming loads, but the biggest group was still under 1MOA. It looks like it will be a shooter. I am going to try & work up some loads using the 225grNAB @ 2800fps+. It should be a good cross canyon elk whacker. It came in @ 9# w/ 26" bbl. & Leup. VXIII 2.5x8 scope.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred Sounds like a beauty. Keep us posted on how you make out with your full throttle loads and case life.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir,
What data source are you using to work up your loads? I have looked at this caliber but wasn't sure were to start with load development. Thanks
Jason Connerley

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sharp's, I originally read about this cart. in Elmer Keiths old writings. He used 25ogr bullets & H4831 exclusively. The last print of Big Bore Rifles has a more current article using more bullet weights & powders.
Tha case cap. is very close to the .338winmag. I have been starting w/ the start loads for the .338wm & working up. I have only tried RL19 so far. With foreformimg loads of 66gr RL19 / 225gr Hrdy. I get 2500fps & sub MOA groups. I only had (4 firefomed cases, so I loaded 69gr & 70gr for a (4) shot group of 1.6". The best vel. was 2715fps w/ room to go up. I will get a chance to shoot it more this weekend. I hope to get 2800-2850fps w/ the 225grNAB or NP. I could have saved a bunch of money & just bought a .338wm, but what fun would that be. [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
How does the case capacity of the .338-348 improved compare to the capacity of the .338-74 Keith?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Pave, I've never played w/ the .348 case. It is shorter but it has a greater diameter. My .338x74K holds 85gr+ of ball powder to the top of the case mouth.

I got to the range w/ the rifle yesterday. I am getting 2850fps w/ the 225grNAB & several groups under 3/4"MOA. This is a great shooting med. bore. I hope to get a whack @ an elk this fall to test the rifle & 225grNAB.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred, what was the turn around time for the work done by BCRW?

Posts: 97 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Mike, unfortunately you can expect 8mos or so on the turn around. I wasn't in any hurry, so I waited. Also be sure to state everything you want in writing, Michael can forget some of the details in that time period. I am happy w/ the rifle & his work, but there were a couple of things that didn't come out quite right & I am having my local guy tweak them (cosmetic stuff).
I love the way it shoots though, and that 4" long rimmed round screams single shot. [Big Grin]