New
Find
Notify
Tools

6X61 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
has anyone heard of this wildcat round? it is a6x61 6mm-264 case found it at one of the local gun stores today,he does not have dies or load data he is selling cheap it is built off of a large action sako?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the cartridge is based on a 264 Win Mag there are a couple of very similar, if not identical, wildcats. The 6mm ATLAS and the 6mm ACK MAG.

Ackley calls both cartridges inefficient and badly overbore.

If it's one of the old SAKO actions and the price is right, it would probably be a good deal just to get the action. There's no telling how many of those barrel-burning rounds have been down the chute. It may already be toast.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks he want 350.00 for it or trade i will go down tomoorow and try to pick it up stock is nice action and barrel have no damage looks above average thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the 6x61 is the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart necked down to 6mm. There was also a 6.5x61 wildcat that claimed the same velocity as the 264 win but with about 8 to 10 grs less powder. Since 7x61 cases are not all that easy to come by I suspect the case you seen could have been made on a 264 case.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 6.5x61 wildcat was written up in "Shooting Times" magazine . I believe that I gave this away last year when "cleaning up " my old gun magazines -nuff said!

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote