Find
Notify
Tools

Singleshot rifle cartridge dilemma
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ravenwolf
posted
I'm trying to decide on a cartridge to put into a singleshot rifle I'm having built. I would Like to try maybe one of the older wildcats like the 30-40 Ackley, 7X57 AI or maybe a 6.5 wildcat. The rifle can be chambered for either a rimmed or rimless round. I will be using the rifle for woodchuck hunting in the summer, black bear and whitetail in the fall, then coyote and fox in the winter. The barrel length will probably be around 26". I posed a similar question in the singleshot rifle forum. Any recommendations/experiences that the forum would like to share would be greatly appreciated...Happy Holiday...RW

Posts: 82 | Location: Bloomfield, NY, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
you might consider the .257 Roberts cartridge.

If you want a rimmed cartridge look to necking up the .225 winchester to 6MM.....or the .220 swift cartridge necked up for that matter.

I use a 6 X 45 and it's a surprising good deer round.....and necking up the larger cases would be interesting.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 7x57. It has plenty for what you want. In my opinion if you want more power go with the 280. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a 7x57AI on a Ruger #1 and it would get pretty close velocity to my 7mag and was using 10gr of powder less. I used from 145/175gr bullets only. If I was going to do and AI for a 6.5 I'd do the 6.5x55 case. I'm shooting a 6.5x284 but it's set up for the 142smk. I also did a 284 on a #1 and it shot pretty good. Nice thing about doing the 284 case is can throat it to get the bullets out longer which helps and it really improves the perform of the 284. Haven't done it but have heard the 3030AI is a pretty good round also. Well good luick and keep us all posted.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ravenwolf
posted Hide Post
Great replies. An improved 6.5X55 Swede does sound interesting. Does anyone have any experience with the improved version of the 30-40 Krag? The action is a falling block that can take modern pressures but I'm caught up with putting an older wildcat into it purely for my own satisfaction and nostalgia. I haven't shot a factory loaded cartridge in my handguns or rifles in over 18 years so not concerned with store availability. Just love the 1900-1950s wildcat years. Have even considered the 257 AI but we do a lot of calling for black bear using a fawn bleats so shots can come mighty close and haven't heard many reports on 25 cal bullets for blackies. I will say that whitetail and woodchucks would be the bulk of what this rifle will be used for. I forgot to add that this rifle will be fairly light weight at around 7 - 7 1/2#s with scope. Keep the comments coming and have a Merry Christmas...RW

Posts: 82 | Location: Bloomfield, NY, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A 6.5-06 AI might give you a little more on the top end than the Swede AI and if you want it rimmed you can start with the 6.5x65 RWS. A friend's falling block in the normal 30-40 is running neck & neck with the 308 Winchester and no signs of pressure, FWIW.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's best to have a cartridge that gravity will feed all the way into a falling blocks chamber. Then one can close the breech without pushing on the case when your in a hurry.

The improved rimless cases, if done to the so called specs, fit pretty tight and if it has a 40 degree shoulder it may not be that easy to push back for easy chambering.

Also your extractor may handle rimless but the 284 case and new short mags are rebated rims.

What with woodchucks on the menu it seems that the 6.5 bore would do it. Aside from the common cartridges there is the 6.5 X 68 Schuler.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"but I'm caught up with putting an older wildcat into it purely for my own satisfaction and nostalgia. I haven't shot a factory loaded cartridge in my handguns or rifles in over 18 years so not concerned with store availability. Just love the 1900-1950s wildcat years."

How about a Page Pooper, Super Pooper or Huntington's Rock Chucker Or Chucker Improved? The 6mm Walker International would be adequate. Although some don't consider it a Wildcat the .256 Newton is just full of NOSTALGIA.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the 30-40 Ackley....a great range of bullets from 100 gr. plinkers to 220 gr. I like rimmed cartridges in any single shot, even though I know the rimless work fine in many rifles.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ravenwolf
posted Hide Post
congomike, do you have a 30-40 ackley and if so what kind of performance are you getting and what loads? I am seriously leaning towards that cartridge if only because it isn't that common and it just seems right. But then again so does the 7X57 AI and 6.5X55. I just can't seem to find a lot of data on the 30-40 Ackley.

I tried to find out info on the 6.5X65R, but couldn't come up with a lot of info on this cartridge either and cases could be hard to come up with.

I know this all sounds redundant but if I'm going to sink money into a custom rifle I want the cartridge to be exactly what I want. Hence my dilemma. The more info I can get from you experienced shooters the better informed I'll be when finally making my choice. A man once said "You pays your money, you takes your chances" and this is very true. But if that chance is based on good information the more likely one is to find satisfaction....RW

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Go to www.huntingtons.com and click on cases, then RWS. You'll see a world of rimmed possibilities. Norma has quite a few too. Loading data for the 6.5x65 and the 7x65 are on some web sites like Norma's.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the 30-40, 6.5x55 and 7x57 were all developed in the early1890s. I am sure all were 'improved' about the same time also. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ravenwolf
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the replies. I believe I'm going to go with the 30-40 AI for a couple of reasons. First it isn't all that common, at least not as common as I thought. Second, it rates in the top 5, according to P.O. Ackley, as a cartridge most benefitted from improving. From what data I have seen it compares closely to the 30-06 in performance. Third, cases are easy to come by. And best of all the parent case is one of America's premiere military cartridges, one of the first to make the transition from BP to smokeless and I just plan ol' like the idea of the .30 US Army Improved. Now if anyone has any experience with this Ackley creation I would surely appreciate any data, hunting and shooting expierences they would like to share...RW

one of us
posted Hide Post
think 6,5x65R is making from 7x65R.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another option for a single shot rifle using a rimmed cartridge is the 303 Epps (essentially a 303 British improved like an Ackley) Actually Epps developed the round in consultation with Ackley. For more info try 303british.com or ellwoodepps.com

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
How about a 35 Whelen? Sounds big. Try a 180 gr SSP bullet at rifle velocities. With a fast twist you could go to 200 gr for most big game. For the largest use the 310 gr RN soft or FMJ from Woodleigh. A weird idea perhaps. Oh well. Q

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ravenwolf:
Great replies. An improved 6.5X55 Swede does sound interesting. Does anyone have any experience with the improved version of the 30-40 Krag? The action is a falling block that can take modern pressures but I'm caught up with putting an older wildcat into it purely for my own satisfaction and nostalgia. I haven't shot a factory loaded cartridge in my handguns or rifles in over 18 years so not concerned with store availability. Just love the 1900-1950s wildcat years. Have even considered the 257 AI but we do a lot of calling for black bear using a fawn bleats so shots can come mighty close and haven't heard many reports on 25 cal bullets for blackies. I will say that whitetail and woodchucks would be the bulk of what this rifle will be used for. I forgot to add that this rifle will be fairly light weight at around 7 - 7 1/2#s with scope. Keep the comments coming and have a Merry Christmas...RW

I have NOT used an improved .30/40. But in a modern, strong action like the Ruger, the plain vanilla .30/40 is so close to a .30/'06 that there's no reason to use the rimless case.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimmed is good for your single-shot. 30-40 are good rimmed cases. 25 Krag AI or 6.5 mm Krag AI would be kewl.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote