Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about the 8mm-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I have all the parts to build something in 8mm. I have been thinking 8x57, but I started thinking again about the 8mm-06. Why not?

The parts are a #4 Douglas stainless barrel 10" twist, a Mark X action, Timney trigger, Gentry safety, Hogue stock.

One of the main things that is influencing me is that I have about 2,000 8mm bullets 220 gr. Most are the Hornady that are discontinued, some Sierras, and some are the Rem cor-lock for the 325 WSM. I'm thinking the extra 100-200 fps out of the 06 case compared the x57 case will make a lot of difference with those heavy bullets. Like 2500 compared to 2300 or less, respectively.

The more I think about it, the better I like the idea. Midway sells the dies very reasonably priced, and 06 brass is a non-issue.

In case you are wondering, I like the 338-06, but I have a good 338 WM, and surely a guy wants to avoid redundency. Wink Besides, I can't shoot those great 220 gr 8mm bullets in a 338.

What do you think?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. The 8mm-06 is a sensible and easy wildcat - lots of brass, fair bullet selection, etc. The 8x60S, 8x64S Brenneke, and 8x68S would also be good choices, although not as practical.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancingI've rechambered a # of Mod. 98s to 8mm-06. A buddy of mine in Alaska still use the one I chambered and sporterized for him. In fact he brought it to CA so I could refurb it after 40 years. Job done he took it back to the Yukon and than to Alaska. Great US - Euro combo! Nothing in the Northern Hemisphere , other than Blue Whale, that it can't adequately handle. ---DO IT--- popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well yeah, it thats what blows your skirt up..It has been a good wildcat since WW2..It pretty much duplicates the 338-06 as a matter of fact...Woodleigh makes 250 gr. bullets in 8 mm (323)

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a 8mm-06 for about the last 30 years. I have had very good sucess using 200 gr Speer and 200 gr partitions on moose, a couple of good sized black bears and a few whitetails. The 220 gr Hornady bullets would likely work well in the 8mm-06 since they were a little soft in the 8mm Rem Mag. If I could only use one bullet it would have to be the 200 partition. Very effective combination.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For someone who reloads, the 8mm-'06 makes perfect sense. Like Ray said, many, many GI's had their Nazi bring-back rifles rechambered to use '06 brass. It never became popular because of the universal dislike of metric calibers.

I guess everyone overlooked that fact of the 7mm magnum because they got enamored by magnum-itis.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
The 8mm is a peak for the 06 case. It takes the heaviest bullet of SD about .280 to 2800 fps.
The 180 grs .30 has the same BC and reaches the same speed, but is lighter. The .225 .338 has the same SD, and is heavier, but does not reach the same speed.
DO IT, it will never let you down.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote