Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Help with a 280 AI Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
As Savage says basic 7mm bullets. While you could use 270 or 30-06 to form the brass you would need to either form a false shoulder or seat the bullet far enough out to engage the lands so it could be used for headspace. The 280 was made with the shoulder forward so that it could not be mistakenly shot in a 270. 280 Rem brass is easy to find and far simpler. If it is done right the 280 brass should be a light crush fit when you chamber it.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If it is done right the 280 brass should be a light crush fit when you chamber it.

That can be a big IF .

If it were me I would insist on firing a few factory rounds through it to make sure the barrel was "set back" and re-chambered properly.

As stated, if done properly factory ammo can be used in a pinch. That is the basic idea of the "Ackley Improved" wildcats. Fireforming will be a little more complicated if the barrel was not "set back". Although this would not be insurmountable, as you seem to have little experience with these chamberings, I don't think you would be happy with it unless the chamber was done properly.

A properly done "Ackley Improved" is a breeze to fireform with "standard" brass, just shim the case sizing die about.060" so as not to bump the shoulder back if you want to "iron out" the necks before fireforming. As stated factory ammo will be "plug and play" Rolling the cases in case lube before fireforming will reduce case stretch, just clean the cases and chamber after fireforming.

I think it is sooo cool to see the transformation from standard to A.I. when one ejects the fireformed cases.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I think you'll love the 280 Ack., shoots real nice and looks neat with that sharp shoulder. When I built my latest I used a 1909 Arg. Mauser and an A&B barrel from Midway. I cut the chamber with a slight crush fit and for some reason I still seat the bullets out to just touch the lands, don't know why, I guess old habits die hard. Haven't had any problems fireforming or shooting. With the A&B barrel I have had a few 3 shot groups of 1.25 inch most average 1.50 to 1.75. Not bad for an A&B, from what I hear most aren't that good. I also have a 1910 Mexican Mauser in 257 Robts. Ack Imp. The barrel on it suppossedly came from Kimber when they were doing the 96 Mausers and that rifle shoots so good most won't believe it unless they see it themselves.

Steve E..........

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote