Find
Notify
Tools

.358 wildcat for 7.62x39 based firearms
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted
I was going to ask if anyone had ever improved a 7.62x39 and opened it up to .35 but wanting to use bullets in the 170 - 200 grain range, I realized that I would be using pistol bullets that were generally shorter and figured a longer case could be used. The only problem here is that the 7.62x39 is extremely tapered and magazines for this cartridge are curved. If I keep the OAL constant, the mags would need to be altered (substituted), but if i shorten it (and leave the taper in the body, forcing me to headspace off the mouth) enought to use the mags, I am afraid that the longer jump from the back of the mag to the chamber might create a feeding problem. I was thinking about doing this on a Mini-30, if the mag well is the same between the 30 and 14, I could adapt Mini-14 mags for it.

Has anyone played with this idea?

If I can find some used 35 Remington dies cheap, I might just have 10mm taken of the bottom and see what it does. A 6.5x52 Carcano case could be trimmed and sized to get the shape witout having to cut a chamber to fire-form 7.62x39 brass.

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't want to sound negative, but why are you, a) doing this, b) on the 7.62x39 case?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the russians did this 20 years ago....

there was an article in SOF on a way chopped down AK shooting 9mm and a silinced subsonic load....

IIRC it was a 160gr at 750-800 fps, and a 120 at 1500

jeffe

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, why? Everyone knows the 7.62x39mm is the perfect 6.5mm case!!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Good question, I should have confessed this to be a theoretical little game that spun out of my obsession for firearms that fire the .451" and .452" dia bullets after trading a Charles Daily Field Grade for a Colt Trooper Mk III in .357 mag. First the more sensible obsession, the .452 thing:

I have a Winchester Trapper and 2 Blackhawks (a stainless Bisley and a blued Convertible) in .45 Colt, one of which also has a 45 ACP cylinder. I can still spew out a lot of 45 ACP playing around with my SIG P220 which is also my traveling companion affectionately dubbed �Brother SIG�. Some day when they are available and I can afford one (I also have several irons in the fire, priority being my 20ga ultra slug project), I would like to get Beretta's little carbine in .45 ACP and I am looking at Rhineland Arms 45 ACP kit for a tired old Enfield of mine. That may be soon as the kit is inexpensive, though I need a reamer cut for a wildcat I have already developed (which approaches 45-70 potentials) that will be shot in my Encore Rifle (and who knows, a .450 Express barrel too, to exceed the 45-70). The only thing not covered in this (pending) collection is a semi-auto carbine as handy as my Trapper chambered in 45 Colt or 45 Winchester Magnum (better for an auto-loader) and I am working out some ideas on that.

Well, back in the Spring, I picked up a Glock 26 for deep concealment and/or as a back-up for Brother SIG. I thought little of it at the time, trying to convince my father that he needed a 38-40 in revolver and carbine to go with his pair of 40 S&Ws (a Ruger P94 backed by a Smith & Wesson CS40) and who knows, he may like that little Beretta carbine.

I ran into a guy that liked my Charles Daly and offered his Trooper for it. Now, a .357 magnum can be useful: though I despise it as a house gun and that 6-shot cylinder makes carry something else; it would do in a pinch as a glove compartment gun or light trail gun (though the Blackhawk travels the trails with me). The thoughts of a 9mm/.38 battery played in my mind. There are several 9mm carbines on the market and they fill the low end of the power range in autoloaders. There are a number of lever guns in .357 mag and single shots that could take that, or 357 max, etc. The 35 Remington is a good Southeastern large game load and if there were some reason to want a full-sized auto-loader, I am sure an FAL could be easily converted to .358 Winchester (35 Whelen Remington 7400 more practical) though I am very happy with mine in .308. Still, I don't see an auto-loader that out-performs the .357 mag yet fits a compact sub-caliber (read .223 or 7.62x39) carbine. When I get serious about the 45 WinMag, I will likely try a Ruger Deerfield with a custom box mag, re-worked bolt, and the barrel bored to .451. It would be simple to do a .357 Auto Mag on the same, but I also saw the Mini-30 and wondered if this would work without messing with the bolt.

Reading my first post, it certainly looks like I am serious about doing this sometime soon. I apologize. It is largely theoretical, as I am already having thoughts about seeing if anyone would trade my Trooper for a S&W 459 or a Taurus Tracker in 45ACP....

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the gun I'm refering to was a semi-auto, I think a Mini-30. All it took was a rebore (back when that was an affordable option) and new chamber.

Come on, Dan. There is no "Why" in any firearms aquisition rules that I am aware of, only spousal opposition philosophies.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote