THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Re: Chas Newton & his Modern Cartidges: Vetreans Day

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Chas Newton & his Modern Cartidges: Vetreans Day
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello: Regarding 2mps comment that he has had more experience with Newton Rifles, etc...mebbe, mebbe not. That's an unusual assumption to make being he does not know me. I was a good friend of the late Bruce Jennings who collected Newton Rifles & accessories for over 50 years..it was his lifetime interest. He passed away not long ago at the age of 89...during our friendship, he passed on to me
much of his lifelong knowledge...so I have learned a lot from his friendship & he was perhaps the most knowledgeable
Newton expert around...so I got a lot of knowledge from him
I also have Newton Rifles, have both shot & hunted with them,also experimented with loading, etc.
Jim Foral is still around, but may be tired of communicating about Newton...he's most knowledgeable, probably more than I am. But I am not interested in petty disputes, my interest is to pass on good info. from what I know, and the sources Bruce Jennings passed on to me to those who may have interest in Chas Newton, his rifles &
cartridges. Aloha, y'all!

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newton vs Niedner: In regard to one of the posts that
Niedner refused to work on Newton Rifles...the reason may be such: Newton had issues with Niedner at the time..let me
quote: from Chas Newton: "Our chambers are chambered with exactly the same tolerances as the Springfield rifles, which have thus far held their own against the world for accuracy in the International Matches. The tolerance at the neck of the chamber is from .003 inch to .0035 inch. Mr Niedner's are chambered with practically no toerance at all, and his shells are, as Lieut. Whelan explains, all hand
reamed to give an exact fit." As Lieut. Whelan further explains, but as many failed to note, "Niedners system requires accurately reamed shells and accurately seated bullets, and will not adapt itself to commercial ammunition on account of the small variations likely to occur in different makes of that ammunition. They are chambered so closely as to practically preclude the use of commercial ammunition, even if such ammuntion was made suitably." That's from Whelan in those days. So, it follows without more elaboration, there were problems between Niedner & Newton...
One of my .30 Newton Rifles was rechambered (due to bad chamber), had to be redone with barrel stepped back...and I
made sure the gunsmith gave the neck a tad more clearance that Newton recommended in his chambers.
Newton had also been very critical of August Pachmayr:
"Mr Pachmayr, a gunsmith from Los Angeles who immediately
cut if off (barrel) and rechambered it so tightly he has to reduce the powder charge four or five grains. (.256 Newton)
This same gunsmith makes a practice of reboring and rifling 6mm Lee Straight Pull Rifles to .256 caliber and chambering
them for our cartridges but making his chamber small at the neck. We have begged and prayed of him not to do it but cannot penetrate the seat of reason. May God protect those who chance to use the normal load in those small neck chambers. We have done the best to stop it, but cannot".
All very interesting...but its obvious from those day's history, Chas Newton took issue with a lot of prominent people back then, and because of this, most likely didn't endear himself to them. Anyway, Townsend Whelan liked him.
Phil Sharpe was impressed by his cartridges, also P.O. Ackley...and many considered experts. I hope this will penetrate the seat of reason.
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote