New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rcbs is no.longer making.custom.dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just talked to them today .The guy John that did run the custom.die shop retired and they closed it down .They were charging $500 for a Ser of custom dies which was crazy .What are the other good custom makers and what do they charge ?

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is huntington still in business?

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that. In the past I had them make several custom dies for vintage British double rifles.

All I had to do was send them a couple fired cases and a cerrosafe cast of each chamber and a few weeks later they would arrive.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I just talked to them today .The guy John that did run the custom.die shop retired and they closed it down .They were charging $500 for a Ser of custom dies which was crazy .What are the other good custom makers and what do they charge ?

http://www.ch4d.com/home

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same result here, no more custom dies to your chamber. Only stuff that they already have reamers for or to SAAMI specs.
BTW: "John" didn't retire....he (as they say) "left to pursue other interests. He left an un filled backlog all the way to 2013.

Fred Huntington is rolling over faster than his old lathe.
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CH4D is a good option.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My last ones were Hornady

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CH4D.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Another vote for CH4D.

tu2

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Ch4d even checked records and told me what dealer might have wildcat dies in stock so I did not have to wait and could buy them at a lower price. They get a big thumbs up from me. The dealer did have them in stock, so I got them in less than a week.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil B,
Huntington is RCBS more or less, as their office is next door, and all Huntingtons work was done by RCBS in the day...

Today they are still in business but for some reason not known to me, their stock is gone down by 80% is my guess..and the business seems to be taken over by some new folks who seem to be in trouble..The aquasition of REm, WW, etc. is all but gone south so they don't carry much these days. Maybe someone else knows the real story behind Huntingtons who I have been dealing with for about 60 years. At one time it was the premier reloading dealer in the world.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
If you like their collet neck sizing dies (I do), Lee's price for a custom one is modest.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
75% of my dies, shell holders, and bullet sizers (up to and including 4-bore) are from CH 4D. Not only is the product good quality but it is nice to be able to talk to someone about one's needs.

RCBS was good quality but too expensive and too long a wait. Anything I need now I call Dave Davidson at CH.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote