New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 HOG(Hand of God)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Speaking of theoretical wildcats, suppose one were to neck down a .50 Spotter Tracer case to .416 caliber. Anyone got the software to play with a concept like this?

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Urodoji-If necked to 416, sides straightened a little, shoulder blowed out it would hold 240 gr
of powder.Using slowest powder available, in a
30 in barrel, you could get a 400 gr bullet to
3700 fps.I have a case and once was thinking of
building a 458 on it.But figured out that the case wouldn't go 50 reloads, like my 458 HE.Which by the way will get a 400 gr up to 3300 with good brass.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much recoil would there be with a 400 grain at that velocity? Is that shoulderable?

Edited to mention that surplus brass is readily available, and not that expensive.

[ 03-13-2003, 02:20: Message edited by: Urodoji ]

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hubel458-have you fired any 400 gr bullets at the 3300 FPS you claim you are getting? I have fired 500 gr 458 bullets at 2300 FPS out of a light(7lbs!)458 LOTT,that was snappy to say the least,but a 400 grainer at 3300! WOW.

Posts: 221 | Location: Back in Alaska where I belong | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Urodoji-If necked to 416, sides straightened a little, shoulder blowed out it would hold 240 gr
of powder.Using slowest powder available, in a
30 in barrel, you could get a 400 gr bullet to
3700 fps.I have a case and once was thinking of
building a 458 on it.But figured out that the case wouldn't go 50 reloads, like my 458 HE.Which by the way will get a 400 gr up to 3300 with good brass.Ed.

So I would think that this would be the most powerful sporting cartridge in the world. I cant even imagine the stopping power of such a cartridge. Any estimations?? And would you be going to the hospital after every shot for shoulder replacement. On my recoil calculator, In a 14 lb. gun the felt recoil would be 134.76 ft. lbs. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 188 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet a good muzzle brake could get that down to manageable levels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Urodoji-Trapshooter figure out recoil below
with a properly weighted rifle,14 lbs.
Now if you have 30 in barrel, good stocking,
big recoil pad it's not bad at all.I figured that velocity on long barrel-A neccesity for comfort.
You are right about getting brass from surplus.
And you have BMG primer for dependable ignition
of that large powder charge.But I still like straight belted cases.
Diesel_dude-I have shot 400 gr at 3300.We chronographed loads.Rifle was weighted to 14 lbs,
big pad, straight classic stock, and 115 ft lbs
of recoil isn't that bad.Ed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
not too bad huh? then YOU shoot it.

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

There was a gent who used to post here often who had a target rifle using the .50 neck to .375. It used special solid copper bullets. I believe he got something >4,000fps and he was actually selling it.
I believe it was made by State Arms?

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, State Arms did have the .50 BMG necked down to .375, called the Mach V if I recall correctly. Barrel life on it was extremely short, around 250 rounds, if that many. The gun was dropped from their catalogue after Klaus died.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How fast can you push the 500's with the 458HE?

Posts: 221 | Location: Back in Alaska where I belong | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
diesel_dude--2900 fps with good hard brass.Using
135 gr WW760 compressed.In the 460 Weatherby that
bottle-necked case would stick hard, with that
much, of that powder.My straight case loves the middle range ball powders, and gets the energy out of them.Ed.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Is it possible the same performance in good quality .450 #2 nitro express in single shot, why did you made your .458 Hubel express belted and not rimmed ?

Jiri

Posts: 2093 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri-Yes the 450 NE #2 would have the room for
enough powder to get similiar velocities,and good
singles would hold it, like Ruger...BUT WHEN I
DEVELOPED THE CARTRIDGE 6 YEARS AGO NONE OF THE
450 NE #2 HAD THICK ENOUGH BASES.If I could have used them I might have built a belted straight 458 case over 3.6 inches long.There may be 450 NE #2 that is thick enough now,I don't know.As for my
458 Hubel Express if it takes off, or we get
enough commitments for the first run of brass,we will make a RIMMED version.The inside punches
used for swaging out cases at factory ,would work for both.Just different machining on the outside for rims that is needed compared to doing rimless .And it will have the same thick base for
safety.Anyone wanting a version with rims let me know, as I am in no great hurry, and would like to make the run of brass as large as possible.
Cost would be the same.Ed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hubel458:
Jiri-Yes the 450 NE #2 would have the room for<br />enough powder to get similiar velocities,and good<br />singles would hold it, like Ruger...BUT WHEN I<br />DEVELOPED THE CARTRIDGE 6 YEARS AGO NONE OF THE<br />450 NE #2 HAD THICK ENOUGH BASES.If I could have used them I might have built a belted straight 458 case over 3.6 inches long.There may be 450 NE #2 that is thick enough now,I don't know.As for my<br />458 Hubel Express if it takes off, or we get<br />enough commitments for the first run of brass,we will make a RIMMED version.The inside punches <br />used for swaging out cases at factory ,would work for both.Just different machining on the outside for rims that is needed compared to doing rimless .And it will have the same thick base for<br />safety.Anyone wanting a version with rims let me know, as I am in no great hurry, and would like to make the run of brass as large as possible.<br />Cost would be the same.Ed.

Ed, are you still running with this project?
Can you show some comparison photos with a Webbie & a 450 NE, please?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote