Find
Notify
Tools

Bwana .358 X .404 info.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
.358 X .404 IMP single shot Mod. 98, Bell cases Wlrm. primers, 200gr. RN bulk bullets, 93.5gr. DP85., Mild, 3252fps.

.358 X .404 IMP, Bell case , 215 primers, 180 gr. psp bulk bullets. 84.4gr. 2520, Oal= 3.645, 3220 to 3293 fps., mild, 4 shot 5/8" group at 50 yds.

popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might as well be shooting 70g round ball!
:P
I need to get mine out and do some more work with the 290g cast bullets. I'd love to find a powder that would fill the case a bit. Was using some insanely small amount of RL25 and about half a roll of TP to get down in the 2200 fps range.
"Wrong tool for the job." But don't think that'll stop me.
Finally got my swageing bench rebuilt last week - new house - so hopefully I can knock out some more 300g RN to play with. That's a looong bullet.
(What I really need is a 358 Winchester throated to 3.1" in a M98! Got one I can borrow?)
;P

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkDon't have the .358 but I find the .358X41 can push a 297gr gas checked bullet at the same energey level as the 30-06. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
Finally got my swageing bench rebuilt last week - new house - so hopefully I can knock out some more 300g RN to play with. That's a looong bullet.

Have you tried using 30 carbine cases for jackets on those 300gr. bullets. fishingroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not. I have a nice supply of good supply of .030" jackets that'll likely last me years. They're like 1.5" long so I could make 350g if'n I had a yen.
Honestly I'm so enamoured with Swift's 280g A-Frame that the whole thing is anachronistic and a foolish waste of time at best. But with a basement to remodel, a bar to build, new deck, and three kids to raise, what else do I have to waste time on?!
:P

PS, what's the 297g? Is that the Lee 358009?

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:

PS, what's the 297g? Is that the Lee 358009?

Have no Idea. Some old timer in Colorado sent them to me and from not being able to find him in the last few years presume he is in the Happy hunting grounds. If you are ever out this way I'll be glad to give you a double hand full. BOOMroger