New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 25 tcu
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
See my thread below on the 257x204 Ruger. To me it makes sense. Using non-custom 204 Ruger bushing dies, simply neck up 204 brass for a round that will have slightly more capacity than the 257 TCU. Brass will cost more but consider the savings in powder, bullets and time by not having to deal with fireforming (I realize some weirdos like fireforming ). There is a ton of information on the TCU round here. Do searches for 257TCU, "257 TCU" and "25 TCU". Most data is fom contender handguns, but some carbine data is floating around. 3100fps for a 75gr seems reasonable from a 20" barrel.

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get .204 brass? Where? I know a couple of .204 shooters that would love to get some bulk brass without having to shoot the factory loads first.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point. I've seen once-fired 204 brass go for BIG bucks over on eBay. Actually, Midway has it listed as a catalog item, although it has not been stocked yet... So you gotta figure we'll be able to get some soon.

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Dakota,
I picked up a 25 TCU reamer a few years ago and made up a Rem 7 in that calibre. The thing was fine except the reamer had a long throat for silouette shooting. I decided to have Pacific get rid of the throat and set the barrel back .400, chased the threads and rechambered. Now it`ll shoot the lighter bullets with no perceived jump and the accuracy is fine. One nice little gun[Sako L-461] and ideal for the close shots at the little Blacktails here. Try to find a smith that has the 25/223 as it`s just as good there too. You`ll love it as it has no recoil, and low noise levels too.

Aloha, Mark[in Or]

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Componetry in 257 calibre is no more difficult to find than in 6mm cal. Bullets are everywhere in both calibres and as the case is the same for either of these TCU rounds it is just a matter of personal choice. The difference is mainly the availiability of loading data...much more exsists for the 6mmtcu than the 257 tcu. There is lots of data for the 6.5 tcu as well and appropriate loads for the 25 cal. round can easily be formulated useing the 6 tcu and 6.5 tcu data. I am a 25 cal fan and I think the 257 TCU is the most versitile of the TCU rounds. I don't mind fireforming either and these loads often prove to be as accurate as the finished product and I can find lots of uses for fireforming loads that make them practical and I don't consider them to be an extra expense...varmints may dissagree with that statement, however!
I have a 257TCU in both handgun and carbine configurations and like them both. The carbine was used last week to put down a deer useing the 75 gr. X bullet. The running shot dropped the little buck quite nicely. Yup complete pass through with the X bullet. It is a neat little round IMHO.
The contender carbine is real light and handy and would make an ideal varmint getter as well.

shortgun

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Summer 04 edition of Small Caliber News had an article on the 25-223. Good place to start on a 25tcu.
I have a basic 25-223 in a converted Rem 700, and use either Berger 72's or Horn 75 Vmax. Favorite powder is RL12, which I am running out of fast.
Out of 24" tube, the 72-75's clock 3000fps, and Nosler 85BT's almost make 2900fps.
Hodgdon's manuals also list loads for some of the wildcats discussed.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dakota
There are lots of powders that work well in this round.
/with the light weights H322..AA 2015 and 2230....Imr4198..H4895..to name a few.

I have had excellent results with Imr4198 and 75 _ 90 grain bullets. Both my handgun and carbine shoot 23 gr of 4198 and the 87 gr.real well. The carbine likes WW748 and 100 gr NBT real well also. It thumps woodchucks real good!!!

Around 27 gr of H335 and the 75 gr HP will get you near 2700 fps with the 14 inch tube of a contender. My carbine runs the 100 NBT at a bit over 2500 and I think it a good choice for deer at medium ranges.

Shoot me an email and when I get time I'll give ya more data if you want.

shortgun

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote