New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem long throated vs Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Another dumb 7 mm Rem Mag question. I have one, it is long throated and I normally seat out to 3.34". Isn't this about equiv to a 7 Weatherbeater? I know the Wea supposedly has about 7 grains more capacity than the Rem, but some of that is neck. The Weatherby is a better design than the Rem considering the factory standard OAL of 3.28 vs the 3.35plus or minus for the Wea. I agree with some old posts that the 7mm Mashburn Super is the cartridge Remington should have standardized. Unfortunately I haven't chrono'ed any loads, and long ago quit loading it to the gills. I do like the 160's at about 2950, which isn't hard to do.

The Captains and the Kings depart, still stands thine ancient sacrifice, an humble and a contrite heart - RK.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oops wrong forum. Sorry.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Some of the capacity is neck. Here is what Loadtech says loaded to the same 65,000, same bullet, same COL same barrel length. The 7Wby will use about 4-5 grs more powder. Give you 50-85FPS. Key issue on the 7mmRem is that factory is only loaded to 61,000.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Interesting and about what I figured. I wish Remington had duplicated the Mashburn Super. Its' not like they were short of action length!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul- I am no stranger to the 7 MS, I've used it for years now, am on the end of my 3rd tube. Number 4 will be coming the end of this summer.

The one action I use it in the most is the 700.

I do love the round and have done some really neat things with it.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dobrenski:
Paul- I am no stranger to the 7 MS, I've used it for years now, am on the end of my 3rd tube. Number 4 will be coming the end of this summer.

The one action I use it in the most is the 700.

I do love the round and have done some really neat things with it.

Mark D
Does somebody in Bozo (or Montana) have reamers? I went to school there for about 10 years. Was graduate student emeritus of the Biology Department! Some good friends of mine have struck up a relationship with Dennis Earhardt over in Helena, they have developed a 404 wildcat on some short belted HH case from way back. Dennis had the reamers made up, and custom dies are available. Rebarrel Ruger Mod 77's with no bolt face mods and get about 2150 from 400 grainers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul no one does that I know of. I know of a fella in Wyo that has a reamer and my smith in Colorado has my reamer at his shop.

Sorry this got back to you so late.

Been busy with work and hunting bruins hard with the old Mashburn.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote