Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 vs. 6.5wsm
 Login/Join

posted
which of the two is the better bet? '06 brass costs half as much as wsm brass and is available anywhere,anytime. i shoot a 338-06 and get 5-6 loading before pitching the brass at a max charge for 2600 fps. the wsm comes in a short action which is hailed by many but limits you to many other choices if you want to change. the wsm has the advantage of a short, fat,powder charge which many say is good for accuracy and something i can't disagree with. i am looking to shoot 140 gr bullets out of a 26" bbl @ 3000-3100 fps. the small amount of 6.5wsm data i have seen says around 3050 fps with more powder than the '06. which way should i go? or, should i just buy a 270wsm? most cordially, victor

Posts: 15 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 12 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You *should* just buy a 270winchester [Big Grin]

[ 08-04-2003, 00:07: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The S.D.'s and B.C.'s of a 140 grain .264 are tough to beat. I get about 3100 fps and a some change in mine with a 26" barrel and the 6.5 WSM. Try it and be different. Don't think brass price would have much variance. Magazine capacity is going to be limited to probably two or three. Machining and feeding for the 6.5 WSM will be significant. The Hogdon manual only list max for a 6.5-06 in a 24" tube at 2750's. This would outway the con's in my opinion. That's an honest 250-300 fps.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the inherent accuracy of the WSM type cartridges is measured in hundreths of an inch, and so is best displayed in bench guns with triggers measured in oz, and barrels as heavy as anchors. I agree that brass is going to be a big advantage of the -06 based wildcat. I would also imagine barrel life will be much greater as the WSM in 6.5 is supposed to put the 264 to shame in terms of throat erosion.

Posts: 198 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sierra's #5 lists a 140 @ 2950 with a dose of imr 4350. hornady lists 2900 with as many as 6 or so powders with their 140 spire point. both 6.5-06 rounds. i guess i can attribute the poor selection of powder with the sierra bullet to a very long bearing surface? and why isn't rl 15 listed as it is "the" powder for my 338-06? maybe bore diameter? maybe all these questions are a moot point as it seems i always come back to the 6.5-06. any input would be most welcome. most cordially, victor e.

Posts: 15 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 12 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the waiting process of having a 6.5 WSM built. The barrel is on order a little over a month. Reduced loads in the 6.5 WSM will equal the 6.5-06, hot loads will easily exceed the stiffest load you can pack into the 6.5-06. Probably a gain of about 300 FPS over the 06. Is it worth it? That is the real question. I just wanted the versatility.

Frank D

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Apologies to those who've heard me say this before.]
Put the 6.5 WSM in a M70 with 3.1" COL and a 26" bbl, and you can probably push the 150gr at around 3k fps.

As I understand it, throat erosion is not due to velocities, but rather temperatures due to high peak pressures.
What that means is that in any given case, the faster you push it (higher pressures) the faster the throat erodes. But achieve that same muzzle speed from a bigger case (lower pressures) and the throat erosion lessens.
I.e., pick the tip-toppest loads for the 6.5-06, and do it without blowing out your barrel. (As fast, at least.)
Myself, I think the 6.5 WSM throated for one's favorite 150gr bullet would make an excellent walking varminter-slash-deer gun.
Should be able to get 4 down with a little box work....

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The difference would hardly be worth arguing about as far as velocity goes...the cost however the short mag brass may be the determining factor!!

Posts: 16 | Location: Northern Cambria,PA USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that without seeing people face to face, it's easy to get pissed on these boards. If we all sat down face to face in real time things get hammered out easier.

I am not the smartest guy on the board, and don't claim to be, but throat erosion in my gun is not an issue at all. This has been brought about by nay sayers on the same topic for several boards.

I have atleast 400 rounds down my barrel, some primer pocket blowers, and several that have ruined pockets in one firing. I have not measured the throat, but can still easilly see a crisply machine throat. I'll add that I do baby my barrel. Groups are three shot over ten minutes, but I am occassionally shooting in 100 plus degrees.

Choose whatever makes your boat float, but don't discount the 6.5 WSM on throat erosion. I am not going to search for the flyer but BHSS has 50 pieces of Norma brass for 270 WSM for probably under $35. Will last an aweful long time.........

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
Any ideas on IF/When they will introduce the 6.5 WSM in a factory rifle? Any rumblings out there?

swede

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
BigBore 416:

I built a 6.5-06 on a Springfield action last winter, 2002. Since then I have fired 439 rounds thru it. The 2 bullet weights I worked with were 120's and 140's. My particular rifle likes the 120's best, and that is fine with me as I shoot 130's out of my 270, and I like to shoot a wide variety of bullets, but in different rifles.

Like some of the others, I don't think throat erosion is any big deal. If you wear out a barrel, and you are having fun doing it, who cares. Put another barrel on the action and wear that one out too,lol.

Here are some of the facts I have learned with my rifle so far. I am getting 3180-3190, with a 120 grain bullet and IMR4831. Groups are 3/4". Jesse mentioned the Hogdon manual, and I guess like all the 06 family, it is just not loaded to its full potential.

RL15 is just to slow, in my opinion. I use RL22 and get close to 3100 fps, and 3/4" groups.

The 6.5-06 is very easy to build as you don't have to monkey with the action at all.

Good Luck

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Bigbore416:

Sorry about the RL15, I meant to say it is too fast.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote