New
Find
Notify
Tools

what twist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
ok i'm making a 7mm stw my question is what twist the barrel be.i'm thinking 22 or 24 inch barrel the contour i'm probally going with whatever my rem 700 in 308 norma is as it is comfortably and pretty well balanced also pretty.any other suggestions on making this rifle are appreciated being this is my first that i'm having made

ohh yeah what would you pick stainless or chrome moly and why?

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't bother building a STW with less than a 26 inch barrel (and I'd be inclined to use a 28 inch tube on a single-shot). As for twist what sort of bullets do you intend to use?

one of us
posted Hide Post
well the gun will be used for hunting so i admit i haven't got that far in my head as to bullets yet i will be starting to reload at end of winter.any recomendations are welcome

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't use bullets heavier than 140gr, use a 1:11 twist. If you use 160gr bullets, use a 10 twist. If you use the 175gr bullets, use a 9.5 twist.

There is no difference in accuracy potential, but a stainless barrel will maintain its accuracy longer than a CM barrel (plus, it is more resistant to rust).

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote