New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 22-243 Dies and twist question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Neck die won't work (22 bullets, remember?), but the body die should, provided it isn't a non-standard 243 based chamber (ie; Ackley, Middlested, etc). With that twist I would be very surprised if it stabilised anything over 60 grains, and probably not over 55's. I've seen exceptions to that tho', so it's worth a try. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently had rebarreld a Sako to 22-243 Midd. Lilja SS barrel with 1:7 twist.
I got forming die from Ch4d and it worked quite well.
I have had no success using 243 Win cases, I had to use Lapua 308 Win cases in order to get a neck diameter witch was satisfactory.
I use the form die also for sizing, I just back it out a bit and get a sort of neck sizer.
I am also planning on getting a Redding S-type neck sizer, think that�s a good idea.

With 1:15 twist I am not sure what bullet weight you can stabilize, I would guess 60 to 65 gr. depending on what speed you achieve.
I have no problem stabilizing 75 gr. A-Max at 1000m/s (Approx. 3200 fps)
It�s a funny round to play around with, and it gives excellent accuracy with the right bullet/load. My best is 17mm (0.66 inch) at 125m , 5 shots with Sierra 69 gr. MatchKing and Norma MRP powder.

Posts: 11 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remember that velocity is part of the equation as well. The faster you push a bullet the slower the rifling twist can be to stabalize it. I used to get real good accuracy with 69 and 70 grain bullets out of a 223 with a 10" twist. I say try the 69's and go from there. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Rob, The Redding "S" die will work just fine. All you gotta do is use a bushing of the proper diameter. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote