Find
Notify
Tools

Hawkins 38/303
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
A while back I spoke of wildcatting the 303 Brit into a 375-303. Well, this has been done exactly as I was thinking by a fella by the name of Tony Hawkins and he called his creation the 38/303. So, my idea has a name and it exists! Tony Hawkins was a "very good" barrel maker. Sadly, he is no longer with us. He made dies to go with his barrels. And of course, he was a Kiwi. beer

100yd target - compliments of JeffinNz.

Cheers Jeff beer

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Shite - my father-in-law has two martini actioned rifles in just that calibre. Both have Tony Hawkin barrels , but assembled by my wifes uncle who was a contempory gunsmith .

Iirc Tony hand made the deep-boring machine that he produced barrels on , and had a strong following amongst blackpowder shooters here in NZ in the late 70's and 80's. My FILs two rifles certainly date from the early 1980s. Both shoot very well, I must swipe them off him one day since he hasnt used them in 15 yers at least .....

Small world...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Is that in a SMLE?

I have a No1 MKIII* with a trashed barrel and was thinking it would make a great .375 x 2 1/2 nitro Express. But the .375-.303 might be easier, if dies exist.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
That's an awful long bullet!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
It is a long sucker . The cases are fireformed , full-length 303 brass , and the bullet seats a long way into the case. My FIL's rifles are both martini actions but there is no real reason why you couldnt use a SMLE action.

I know big feral billy goats have no answer to a hit from either rifle , even with black powder loads .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This should be very similar to the old 38 - 50 Remington cartridge about dimensional data.

Also the 38 - 55 Winchester and the 375 Winchester are quite similar , only shorter

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
The 375 Winchester is based on a 30-30 case so is a bit smaller. (Probably about perfect for a lever actioned brush/bush gun).

JeffinNZ kindly sent me a sample of the 38 Hawkins case. It's almost identical to what I attempted to create and is exactly what I am after!

The top case is the 38 Hawkins, the second is my attempt, the third is an attempted 41/303 and the last one is a 35/303 attempt.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Is it a long straight taper with a cylindrical neck like the .32-40?

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. The body taper is the same as the parent case. The dough-nut that is formed from the original shoulder is removed in a die.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to shoot a No.1 MkIV in 35-303 with a scout scope last weekend. I would love to see what it would do to pigs or big billies. Smiler It was a nice combination.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a similar thing written up in Handloader Magazine some time back, the 37 Rimmed. Excellent cartridge to make use of a P14 or Siamese Mauser.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
The 37 Rimmed looks like a necked up 30-40 Krag.

The 35/303 interests me too! But I have to make a choice. I'm not sure what the advantages of one over the other would be. The 35/303 would have an edge over the 35 Remington and my Dad hunted Cape buffalo with a short barreled one in pump action, so .... ?

Maybe the solution is to build one of each!

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elwood Epps (formerly Clinton, Ontario, Canada) made a variety of improved cartridges on the 303 British case. The website 303british.com has details of many, including the 375 Epps. I have a 303 Epps which is the standard 303 improved type a la Ackley. My rifle is a P14 but but #4's and #5's can be rechambered. Elwood Epps (the gunshop not the man) still rechambers rifles currently.

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 35/303 on a commercial Martini Sporter. Thought about going to a .375/303 but the barrel is pretty light weight. Too small in dia at the muzzle for a .405.
Seems like a decent cartridge. It'll just be shooting paper targets anyway for me. We'll see when I get it all done and back together.

Maybe a 375/303 for the next one if it'll fit..

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
Maybe the solution is to build one of each!

So what is the final solution? Confused beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either would be fun in a #1 or a High wall as well as the Martini's DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote